Beer at first sight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoffrey20005

Reaction score
Alright, found this site to help me answer a few questions for my homebrewing...the past few batches my friend and I make seem to have a tinny taste in them. We had a strong IPA that was very tiny, tossed the entire batch out because it tasted so bad. Irish stout turned out the same way. We have been doing a good job of keeping everything sanitized that needs to be, and keeping a running tub of sanitizer going in case we have anything else that needs it....but the flavors just aren't working! The only other thing I could think that it might be....is we have yet to step away from the cheap yeast packets and go with liquid yeast. Brewing partner says he used to make some beer that didn't have this metallic taste, but it is very annoying to have less-than-appetizing beer. Any suggestions?

BTW, we do extract brewing.

Nothing wrong w/dry yeast. That's all I've used for the past 2 years. That said...
How long did you primary?
How long in secondary?
Be sure to take the valve out of your bottling bucket when you clean it.
What is your sanitizer?
It's hard to mess up a kit.

We might not have taken the valve out once, but I know we took it apart most of the time. Primary was usually about 6-10 days, sometimes we left it in longer. Secondary would be about two weeks or so. Temps were usually around 68-72 (a little high, I know, but I didn't think that would cause it) Sanitizer is the liquid Star-San.

Trying to post most of this from memory, we bottled two kits (10 gal) about three weeks ago and then I went home for Christmas. Just now trying it, still detect a tin taste in the beers.

usually bad, sour taste is from the nasty tap water in most areas. this gives it a horrible taste at the back of your mouth. I made a terrible stout last month and i cant seem to keep it down. my water was off and pH etc. Something like this will help http://www.torontobrewing.ca/servlet/the-52/Five-Star--dsh--5.2/Detail or campdem tablets when you boil the water, helps take out the chlorine or chloramine out among other things that can contribute to off flavours.

Do not use oxyclean or starsan on the metal pots as its acid based and will give it a metal aluminum taste. Check your yeast and the proper temps its supposed to be fermented and pitched at. and please keep it in the primary for more than 10 days. Secondary is not really needed.

The yeast packets are pretty good and spending more on liquid yeast is a waste if you havent found out whats giving the off flavour. thats what i can think of.

If im wrong correct me. :)

An off-taste common to multiple batches of different styles, to me would indicate poor sanitation(but it sounds like you have that covered), or water issues.
Since you are extract brewing, on your next batch try using distilled or RO water. If the tinny taste is gone, then you'll know it's your water.

Alright, so for my next batch I am planning on using some store-bought bottled water....one question I have: I have heard using distilled water that I should add some minerals to the water, if I use the entire batch distilled. If I don't go with distilled, I am planning on just buying bottled water by the gallon....anyone have any suggestions on the best water to buy as far as taste? And yes, I am planning on buying my water for this batch so I can try and get rid of this off taste once and for all.

And on that note,,,,time to figure out the next batch that I am going to brew. If anyone has a recipe for Fixed Gear let me know :)

Alright, so for my next batch I am planning on using some store-bought bottled water....one question I have: I have heard using distilled water that I should add some minerals to the water, if I use the entire batch distilled. If I don't go with distilled, I am planning on just buying bottled water by the gallon....anyone have any suggestions on the best water to buy as far as taste? And yes, I am planning on buying my water for this batch so I can try and get rid of this off taste once and for all.

And on that note,,,,time to figure out the next batch that I am going to brew. If anyone has a recipe for Fixed Gear let me know :)

Distilled water is fine for extract brewing. Also a good choice is reverse osmosis water- the kind of water in the big "water machines" at several grocery stores. They are pretty much interchangeable, but the RO water machines are much cheaper. I paid about $1.50 for 4 gallons of RO water in one of those machines. You don't have to add anything to the water, so no need to worry about that.

Northern Brewer has a Fixed Gear recipe kit that looks really good to me. I haven't tried it, but I was considering making that. You can find the info on their website, along with the kit and directions.

Latest posts

Back