Beer and Medicine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greydog

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm just wondering if beer is considered a clear liquid in preparation for medical procedures?
If is isn't, I vote we make it one.
Greydog

I just had a colonoscopy last week and had to just have clear liquids the day before so I thought the same thing. But the instructions also specifically said "No Alcoholic Beverages". Other that specific instruction, I think the answer is yes. :mug:

Had my colonoscopy a couple weeks ago. What fun!

Well, after a day of fasting, it definitely gave me a quick buzz, but beer definitely qualified as 'clear liquid' for me. Docs didn't seem to mind at all - if it's not red or purple it's okay. Alcohol or not. I just think they don't want you to imbibe the morning of the procedure.

Have fun. The prep sucks. Other than that, it's cake.

I consider beer to be medicine!
Agreed, I like to think the alcohol disinfects my bloodstream the same way it does when they rub an area with alcohol before a you get an injection.

As an added bonus, there's the Darwinian brain cell theory, which says that the alcohol only kills the old, slow, infirm brain cells, like a cheetah charging a herd of mustangs takes out the weakest one. On average, herd quality goes up. So every beer actually makes me smarter!

I figured that being as beer is God's most perfect food, what harm can it do?

I, too subscribe to the brain cell theory. Although, so far, I haven't noticed me getting smarter.

When I had mine, I specifically asked why the clear liquids and then said so I can drink beer. The nurses were very clear about me not drinking beer. Even though the point of a clear diet was to now skew any results. I think they just wanted to torture me. (the gallon of crap I had to drink prior to the procedure was torture enough...)

Back