American Porter Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's prefer chocolate malt?
Pauls Chocolate Malt (415-490 SRM)
or
Crisp Pale Chocolate (200-250 SRM)?

Do you have a final SRM for this beer?

After some research and playing with Beersmith, I went with Pale Chocolate.
This seems to get me SRM of 28.5 which meets BJCP specs.
Anyone tried with Pale Chocolate? I'm brewing this Saturday afternoon.:mug:

I used this recipe as my first 10 gallon batch. 5 gal with Nottingham and the other 5 gal with Wyeast Britsh Ale....

Thick, chewy, full, and layers of flavors. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I, and many of my friends and family, also thank you.

This beer is so good I thought I should share a picture of it::rockin:

3523583945_4ec9116ba0.jpg

I partial mashed this recipe and my efficiency sucked (like 60% which is typical for my stove-top mashes). Other than coming up short on gravity do you anticipate any other ramifications?

Also, does it make ANY difference at all if I do a secondary or not? I may do one simply to make room in my primary.

FYI, if you use Munton's & Fison Amber LME, it still turns out pretty good! I think my extract might be suspect since the same stuff fermented extremely slow in both this porter and my current batch of pale ale, but still...

This has been the best beer I've made yet. Thanks Ed for the recipe!:mug: I'm so glad I waited for the troubled fermentation to finish out. SO GOOD.

After reading through this thread my patience is royally tested. My fermentation is 7 days old in primary and I plan to let it finish primary for 14 days then keg condition for just 1 week, but that's a whole two weeks away!!!!

Just curious what temp and pressure you're serving this at?

After reading through this thread my patience is royally tested. My fermentation is 7 days old in primary and I plan to let it finish primary for 14 days then keg condition for just 1 week, but that's a whole two weeks away!!!!

Just curious what temp and pressure you're serving this at?

I was drinking mine from grain to glass in two weeks and it's wonderful !!!

Pat

It's been a long time and I'm looking forward to aging 2 kegs of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, those Blichmanns sure are nice. I keep telling myself my keggle is fine, but those sure are nice.

I'm very happy with my 20 gallon Blingmann. I sold two keggles which helped justify the buy. It's much easier to clean, lighter and drains with just about a cup of wort left over. I clean it by filling it with water, heat it to about 140 degrees, then I let it soak for an hour before draining it into dirty kegs. I save water & PBW that way and I don't make a mess in the kitchen cleaning kegs.

Ed holy hell I kegged this thing today and took a taste test. The flavor is unreal. The is definately going into the haus category. And who doesn't LOVE a beer you can turnaround in 2 weeks.

Yummmmmmm,
I just brewed this yesterday - my first all grain.
It was a blast - even got a decent effeciency.
It was so dark and rich - how do you guys know when to stop the Vorlauf - I couldn't see an inch into the runnings (oh lovely dark goodness). I just ran 6 qts back in, based on experience with prev partial mashes.
Thanks for this one Ed.
And thanks to Brewmaster's Warehouse for providing the kit.

jason

It was so dark and rich - how do you guys know when to stop the Vorlauf -

I usually only vorlauf two quarts with my system. With light colored beers, it runs clear with one beer pitcher, so I just do the same with dark beers too.

It's been a week now, but I will let it go another week in the fermenter before cooling and kegging. I can't wait. I am going to bottle 5 gallons of this batch in 24 oz. Sierra Nevada Harvest bottles.

Brewed this yesterday, hit 77% efficiency, my best so far. Looked and tasted good going in to the fermentor. I'm probably going to rack half to bourbon and oak chips for an extra week. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Been almost a week in the keg. I shook it up and high pressured it, so it's still a little flat, but definately delicious. There is definately some smooth milky taste to it. And like all home brews (despite it's chewiness) it goes down EASILY.

BLOWS Great Lakes Porter out of the water btw!!

I thought about grading my PM batch of this out, and I have to say the smell is over whelming. Is this something I could attribute to it being a PM recipe? I now have capabilities to AG it and am curious if I could expect that over powering smell to dissipate. It is absolutely delicious I'll say though.

I thought about grading my PM batch of this out, and I have to say the smell is over whelming. Is this something I could attribute to it being a PM recipe? I now have capabilities to AG it and am curious if I could expect that over powering smell to dissipate. It is absolutely delicious I'll say though.

Please describe the aroma.

I just did this as my second AG today, but have some questions.
I only changed one thing and that was to use Marris Otter instead of two row.
My preboil OG was 1.054 and my postboil was 1.072 both taken at 70deg. I started with 7 gals and hit my 5.5 gal at 60min. Can anyone help me with efficiency and probable ABV figures. I just got Beersmith but havn't figured it out yet. I bet there is a page with all the formulas but I havn't found it yet.
I batch sparged with two rinses. MLT at 150degs, held it for the full 60min.
Thanks for any help.

I brewed a 10 gallon batch of this recipe 3 weeks ago and just got around to transferring to secondary yesterday. I've got the batch split into two 5 gallon carboys and am dry-hopping one with 1 oz of Cascade and am oaking the other half with 4 ounces of light toast oak chips soaked in Makers Mark. When bottling, I'm going to further does the oaked batch with Makers Mark a little at a time until the taste is where I want it.

Our OG was 1.066 and both samples taken last night were at 1.017. Those are the only samples I've ever taken after primary that I've finished and wished I had more. It was great uncarbonated and at room temp. Anyone have any suggestions for how much priming sugar to add? I really don't want this one to be overcarbed, just enough to give it a good head, release some aromatics (especially in the dry-hopped half) and give good mouth-feel.

Thanks for another great recipe Ed!

Brewed this as my first AG. Last night I tried a sample which had been fermenting for 3 days. holy SH&%$#t this stuff was good even though I screwed up on temps and sparging, etc.
I am not usually a big fan of Porters (i brewed it for a friend) but you have converted me. thanks Ed!!

We kept the grain bill the same but mod'ed the hops/yeast a bit to what was on hand.
60 minutes 0.5 oz Cascade, leaf (7.2AA);
60 min. 0.75 oz Galena leaf (14.2AA);
15 min. 0.5 oz Tettnang pellet (5.1AA)

and wyeast Euro Ale # 1338

I cannot believe the thick texture, rich color and taste. best yet.

I brewed a 11 gallon batch of this awhile back and I love it. I let a judge taste it and he thought I should cut the black patent and the black barley in half he said it was a bit to bitter for the style. But when I brew it again I dont think I will change a thing.

Pat

I brewed a 11 gallon batch of this awhile back and I love it. I let a judge taste it and he thought I should cut the black patent and the black barley in half he said it was a bit to bitter for the style. But when I brew it again I dont think I will change a thing.

Pat

Yeah, it's kinda in between a Robust Porter and a Stout, so sometimes I call it a Robust Storter.

I don't brew for judges, I brew for me. :rockin:

I am low on fermenters, so I was going to do this 2 weeks in my only bucket (after Haus Pale Ale is done) and two weeks in my one corny. Then carb for 2 weeks.

longer is better or could i just carb it while its in the corny aging?

I am low on fermenters, so I was going to do this 2 weeks in my only bucket (after Haus Pale Ale is done) and two weeks in my one corny. Then carb for 2 weeks.

longer is better or could i just carb it while its in the corny aging?

That will work fine for you.

I bottled 11 gallons earlier this week (half dry hopped with 1 oz of cascade and the other half on oak with Maker's Mark as posted earlier). Both samples tasted great, but the oaked one is going to be amazing. The Maker's Mark is very subtle and the oak seems to have really rounded the beer, smoothing it out and complimenting with a vanilla flavor. As we hit the high end of the scale for FG and had good attenuation, we ended up at around 7% ABV. I'm going to cellar half the bottles for a year in a basement and start on the other half in around a month.

Thanks again Ed.

Yeah, it's kinda in between a Robust Porter and a Stout, so sometimes I call it a Robust Storter.

I don't brew for judges, I brew for me. :rockin:

This is one beer I want to have on tap all the time..Maybe I'll split a batch and try that oak chip and makers mark trick that does sound good !!!

The judge did think it was closer to a stout but like you say Ed I make beer for me not judges !!!
Pat

Still crushing this beer. Every time I hit the tap I'm a little intimidated. I think that's a good thing. You gotta like a beer that'll hit back.

Not sure I'd keg it again because I can't get anyone else to have more than (2) at a sitting, but will DEFINITELY bottle my PM version for those long Buffalo winters.

Still crushing this beer. Every time I hit the tap I'm a little intimidated. I think that's a good thing. You gotta like a beer that'll hit back.

Not sure I'd keg it again because I can't get anyone else to have more than (2) at a sitting, but will DEFINITELY bottle my PM version for those long Buffalo winters.

True, I plan on kegging and force carbing mine, then using my beer gun to bottle one keg with bombers and 24 oz. Sierra Nevada bottles. One of those bottles make for a nice night cap.

I moved 10 pints on the day it was properly conditioned 2 weeks ago. Since then I've been the only one to touch it. The keg will be dry soon. Maybe it'll be worth kegging again.

Planning on doin this recipe next week but maybe adding a little biscuit malt. Tried a beer with biscuit in it the other day and really enjoyed it. Anyone ever try this? How much should I add? Also, how does this porter compare to Sierra Nevadas? Ima huge fan of theirs and that is what is prompting me to try this recipe.

I don't think this one is very close to Sierra Nevada's. SN's is dry and uses their lager strain at low ale temps. This one is higher in alcohol, much more mouth feel and (to me) more robust.

Doing this one tomorrow! I have some centennial blond that i am going to keg, do you think i could just dump this on that yeast cake?

This will be our July 4th brew. Just got the ingredients from the LHBS here in Albuquerque. Just about $70 for the 5gal extract version. Sounds pretty high. Could I have done better ordering online?

Back