American Porter Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Krausen started this morning around 9ish and it's getting damn close to the blow off tube. Guess no matter the amount of fermcap this batch was going blow over which is why I put it in a rubbermaid container.

1387913293717.jpg

i'd say this is a pretty active fermentation!

[ame="http://youtu.be/IIBGMkfaNqQ"][YOUTUBE]IIBGMkfaNqQ[/YOUTUBE][/ame]

I'll be brewing a similar porter in a few days and was curious as to why the maltodextrin is added instead of just mashing higher in this recipe. If the mash temp is increased to 154-156, wouldn't that have the same effect? I've never used maltodextrin before and was just wondering what the difference was.

I'll be brewing a similar porter in a few days and was curious as to why the maltodextrin is added instead of just mashing higher in this recipe. If the mash temp is increased to 154-156, wouldn't that have the same effect? I've never used maltodextrin before and was just wondering what the difference was.

I made this for the first time earlier this fall and am just drinking it now. I had never used maltodextrine before either, but the OP explained that it contributes to mouthfeel. I agree, it has a noticibly thicker or fuller texture that is very pleasing. I would suggest brewing it with the maltodextrine addition to at least experience it for yourself. Just my opinion, of course.

I guess I was just wondering why the dextrines produced by alpha amylase would be different from pure maltodextrin in their effect on mouthfeel. I'm assuming that adding that amount in its pure form is a whole lot more than the amount obtained from just mashing higher. That's probably it now that I think about it. I'll give it a try tomorrow and see. Thanks.

I guess I was just wondering why the dextrines produced by alpha amylase would be different from pure maltodextrin in their effect on mouthfeel. I'm assuming that adding that amount in its pure form is a whole lot more than the amount obtained from just mashing higher. That's probably it now that I think about it. I'll give it a try tomorrow and see. Thanks.

by mashing at 150 degrees the brew would be thin and the Maltodextrin puts back some of the body

why mash it out then put it back? I do not know

but I have brewed this recipe three times and used Maltodextrin in all three and thought they were great

all the best

S_M

Just drank my last bottle. I have the White House Honey Porter extract kit in the keg and doesn't even compare to this one. Time to order the ingredients to brew another batch!

Doughing in and ready to go. I added 4oz crystal 60 to the mash and about to do an aroma addition of EKG at flameout. I'm also splitting the pale with marris otter. S04 yeast

Bottling this tomorrow. Followed recipe but adding cold steeped coffee to bottling. (Finished low with FG at 1.012.). What is the proper carb level for this beer? I know the style recommends 1.8-2.5 but hoping for better direction than that.

Planning to do 2-3 oz of coarsely ground beans in 8 oz diluted water. Will be sanitizing the French press and storing overnight for addition (of the "concentrate") to the bottling bucket tomorrow.

Did a batch of this porter today, I believe I hit my numbers with right around 6 gallons of wort at 1.058. It smells and tastes delicious already, nice roasted malty flavor and very well balanced.

Edit: Brewed on 1/19. 1.058 OG. By 1/22 it was at 1.012 already.

I am going to brew this and had a few questions.

Do you count the malto dextrin towards your original gravity?
I have C-75 on hand, could I just straight substitute this for the C-40 or should I make other adjustments if I use C-75?

Thanks!

I brewed this Saturday and ended with 1.071 OG and about 5.5 gallons. Today it has a gravity of 1.022 and seems to be done - 3 days later! And I honestly think it was done yestereday. I pitched 2 re-hydrated packs Nottingham and used oxygen. Explosive fermentation - blew the top off my carboy! I hope 1.022 isn't too sweet? I don't plan on doing anything with it for at least 1 week.

I'd let it ride in the carboy a few weeks unless you are in a big hurry. I let mine sit 3 weeks untouched.

I'd let it ride in the carboy a few weeks unless you are in a big hurry. I let mine sit 3 weeks untouched.

Yeah i will i just have never had a beer drop down so fast before

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Home Brew mobile app

Brewed the extract version of this last weekend. WOW! You were not kidding about the vigorous fermentation. I ferment in a closet in my bedroom and went to sleep listening to the glug, glug, glug of the blow off tube. When I woke up, silence, I rushed to check it and found a volcano! I literally had to duck tape the stopper on. The following two nights I had dreams about more blow offs. It smells so good already. Can't wait to taste it.

This porter was fantastic. My keg is gone already but have a 6pk of bottles that's been conditioning for 2 weeks now, cracked the first one tonight. Absolutely delicious, some serious roasty flavor... coffee, chocolate... and the hop bitterness works so very well with the malt flavors.

Thanks Ed, great recipe.

Brewed up a 10 gallon batch of this yesterday. Beautiful day in NC and the brew day went really smooth. Ended up with just under 10 gal. Gonna do half with some Medium oak cubes soaked in Bourbon and Vanilla beans. Has anyone else tried this with this recipe? If so how much Bourbon and how long did you leave the oak and Vanilla beans in. I was thinking 2weeks and about 8-10oz of Bourbon.

Cheers.

Dont have time to scroll entire tgread but thinking of making tomorrow. Sorry if this has been asked before but I always get fruity esters when using nottingham and want to try something more forgiving temp wise. Would s 04 or 05 be a better option?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Are you set on dry yeast? I have only used Notty in one brew, my first. I haven't used any other dry yeast. For liquid I have had success with WLP002 but for me it requires extra conditioning time to get rid of an almost bread yeast like taste, it goes away just takes about a month in the bottle to do so.
I have seen a lot of people like using Dennys Favorite for porters and stouts, WY1450.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Im only set on dry yeast because I'm brewing tomorrow and don't have time for a starter.

As long as you can keep the fermentation temp under 68, notty can be just fine. I used it in a different porter recipe a few months back, kept it at 66, and it's wonderful. No fruit at all.

As long as you can keep the fermentation temp under 68, notty can be just fine. I used it in a different porter recipe a few months back, kept it at 66, and it's wonderful. No fruit at all.

I've had too many bsd experiences with Notty. I've done the swamp cooler with it time and time again and am never pleased. Maybe my palate just doesn't agree with it. Im going with 05. Im going to use a wine fridge I picked up which has a setting of 60 degrees f.

Thanks for the recipe Ed. Waiting on tge boil now. Only got 68% eff but I added a extra half lb of base malt so ended up just shy of my target. Smells delicious already.

I Kegged the 10gal I brewed of this yesterday. Half was on vanilla bean for the last 10 days. Decided not to use oak. The vanilla batch was racked into a keg along with 10 ounces of Knob Creek. OG was 1.077 and both finished at 1.018. Almost an imperial porter. Both hydrometer samples tasted fantastic. I will post again when it's carbed up. Can't wait!

Just kegged mine about 20 minutes ago. Very good indeed. My sample reminded me a lot of founders breakfast stout albeit not a stout. Had a lot of those roast and coffee notes that I love so much in founders. Ill have to do a side by side to see if I memory deceives me. As stated a few post up I went with s-05 due to my dislike for Notty and I couldn't be happier with this yeast however I did have slightly less attenuation then planned. Came out in the end at 1.014 and 6.4 %. I think my estimated FG was 1.011.

Brewed this back at the end of December and added 2 vanilla beans and 2 cups cold steeped coffee to the secondary and just last night it took first place in the porter category at the BOSS Challenge in Crest Hill, Il. My first ever beer competition victory! Guess what beer ill brewing again soon. Hopefully it gets good reviews at the national competition too. I also entered it in a previous comp and scored a 31. So this definitely is a quality brew.

I know a guy, who knows a guy, whose friend mashed this at 156 as opposed to 150. What might...that friend... expect out of the final product with the extra 6 degrees?! Significantly less alcohol? Taste?

Just brewed this tonight. 2.5 gallon BIAB. I've been hitting higher OG on my last three BIAB all grains. Don't know what's up with that. Had to add some water to dilute it down to an OG of 1.067ish. Hope it turns out well. Pitched most of a pack of Safeale-04. Got a blowoff tube connected and ready to watch it go! Really excited. image.jpg

Had my first blowout in quite a while on my Spring batch of this beer. I had an extra pack of Nottingham I wasn't going to use this year, so I threw in both of them. Let's just say it got really enthusiastic. I checked after 24 hours and it the airlock was showing normal action. I checked again 6 hours later, and the airlock was jammed up with foam and the bucket lid was domed up.....more than I thought possible. Got everything cleaned up, airlock back in place, and it's cranking away normally this morning. Just another great batch of BCB Robust Porter.

This looks great, will be brewing this up tomorrow.

Just one question: what is the reason for the low mash temps? Is this just to bump the alcohol up a bit and keep the sweetness under control? Could you mash slightly higher (153 F maybe) and forgo the malto-dextrin addition? I read through about 25 pages of this forum but didn't see this question asked before.

Edit: Found a similar discussion on page 77.

Bottled yesterday (brewed April 29)! Ended up with a higher OG than anticipated (I'm a rookie). Went from .084 - .022. Sample tasted delicious. Ill let you know how it turns out in 3 weeks!

I can confirm that this is a no BS very active fermentation. In fact it's the most vigorous I've ever had. Fermenting this In a wide mouth carboy, so I thought, eh no way the krausen is gonna push up the wide mouth. Lol. Wrong! I'm fermenting in my chilly basement. 55-57 degrees and the beer temp is around 64. Pitched at 60 degrees. I was worried it might not start. Blow off tube required!

Can't wait til it's done.

Jp

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I brewed this 5 days ago with WLP005 since I already had some from a previous starter. I used a blowoff tube and it was one of the calmest fermentations I've had. I pitched a huge starter (I used a calculator, but it seems like I had more yeast than I normally see for equal size starters). I did control fermentation temps around 66F. Bubbling stopped greatly after just a few days. I switched to an airlock and it's still offgassing, but slowly.

Back