American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm holding off trying this until after Christmas, cause I'll be away when it'll need my attention, but I'd be curious to see a thread like the Apfelwine "counter" on the Haus Pale... probably well into the thousands now?

EDIT: try the thread search first bonehead! (Just read the counter thread)

Very tasty Beer.
I brewed a batch for the Christmas Open House Last week. Unfortunately all 5 gallons got drank :( along with my Pumpkin Amber, and most of my Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
So I'm brewing another batch so that I'll have beer for Christmas. :)
Thanks EdWort!

Just wanted to post that this is my house beer. I try to always keep a keg of it around. Problem is that whenever I have friends over, it is always what they drink, regardless of what else I have on tap. Homebrewers and BMC drinkers alike. Just fantastic. Thanks Ed.

Brewed a batch of this last night. Something happened got 35% eff its only at 1.025 guess the crush was bad on the 2row.. Guess I will add 2#s of light DME

Tried it last night. It is still a bit young tasting, the flavors are mending well though. The grainy taste is going away quite well. Good lacing. I am excited to try this in another week or so, turned out very well even after all the mishaps of brew day.

Hi All,
I've backread a lot of this thread (though not nearly all of it) and have decided to use EdWort's Haus Pale Ale as my first partial-mash brew attempt.

Based on his grain bill:
8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt

I converted it to the following:
3.5 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt
3 lbs. extra-light DME

I used the conversion of 2/3 lb. of DME to one pound of base malt (found that conversion here: http://members.cox.net/steve.krieske/Extract Brewing Guide.pdf). So basically I converted the additional 4.5 lbs. of 2 row I'm "replacing" to 3 lbs. of DME.

I plan on using a 3 gallon round cooler as described in this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/mini-mash-system-extract-brewers-8805/

And I plan on following the procedure that's outlined here:
http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/48-partial-mashing/511-countertop-partial-mashing

I'll keep the hop schedule the same, late-add the DME (how late?), and use Nottingham yeast. I'll end up with around 3.5-4 gallons of wort, so I'll top off with water in the fermenter.

Does this sound like a good approach to my first partial mash?

I liked how the numbers worked out - I'm right at 6 lbs of grain which is about the most I can do with a 3gal cooler/5gal BK on the stove, plus DME comes in 3 lb. bags!

Hi All,
I've backread a lot of this thread (though not nearly all of it) and have decided to use EdWort's Haus Pale Ale as my first partial-mash brew attempt.

Based on his grain bill:
8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt

I converted it to the following:
3.5 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt
3 lbs. extra-light DME

I used the conversion of 2/3 lb. of DME to one pound of base malt (found that conversion here: http://members.cox.net/steve.krieske/Extract Brewing Guide.pdf). So basically I converted the additional 4.5 lbs. of 2 row I'm "replacing" to 3 lbs. of DME.

I plan on using a 3 gallon round cooler as described in this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/mini-mash-system-extract-brewers-8805/

And I plan on following the procedure that's outlined here:
http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/48-partial-mashing/511-countertop-partial-mashing

I'll keep the hop schedule the same, late-add the DME (how late?), and use Nottingham yeast. I'll end up with around 3.5-4 gallons of wort, so I'll top off with water in the fermenter.

Does this sound like a good approach to my first partial mash?

I liked how the numbers worked out - I'm right at 6 lbs of grain which is about the most I can do with a 3gal cooler/5gal BK on the stove, plus DME comes in 3 lb. bags!

Looks good to me. At 65% effeciency you should get about 1.053 OG.

I just picked up the ingredients for an AG of this at my LHBS. I have a ton of Cascade pellets in stock (thanks, Hopsdirect and your $8.75lb of Cascade!), so the total cost of a 5gal batch will be just $15.10! Woo-hoo!

Christmas Eve brew, here I come!

I just picked up the ingredients for an AG of this at my LHBS. I have a ton of Cascade pellets in stock (thanks, Hopsdirect and your $8.75lb of Cascade!), so the total cost of a 5gal batch will be just $15.10! Woo-hoo!

Christmas Eve brew, here I come!

You must have bought yeast, otherwise this recipe is cheeeeaaaapppp

I have this one fermenting, I am going to bottle. Do you guys think I should skip the crash cool? Will there be enough yeast left for carbing after a crash cool?

I have this one fermenting, I am going to bottle. Do you guys think I should skip the crash cool? Will there be enough yeast left for carbing after a crash cool?

Unless your beer is very old inthe fermenter, you should be fine.

Fwiw, with notty, this beer clears very well.

I only did the 2.75 because im limited by my stove....but that will change soon...I had to use a different hop but i worked it out to where the ibus arent much more then with the cascade.

I used centennial per the recommendation of the guys at the local brew shop. me and my buddy bought them out of cascade last week for our 120 minute clone and they havent gotten any in yet.

I did 10 gal batch and just tapped the keg on Monday. WOW! This is an awesome beer. Am I the only one that thinks this is a pretty spot on clone of Sierra Nevada (well except for the color). This stuff is awesome. I left it cold crashing for over 3 weeks before I kegged it, so it poured crystal clear on the first pour. I expected the Cascade flavor to be gone, but man its right there. On my SN clone, I dry hopped and it didn't have as much flavor as this one. Cheers!

I did 10 gal batch and just tapped the keg on Monday. WOW! This is an awesome beer. Am I the only one that thinks this is a pretty spot on clone of Sierra Nevada (well except for the color). This stuff is awesome. I left it cold crashing for over 3 weeks before I kegged it, so it poured crystal clear on the first pour. I expected the Cascade flavor to be gone, but man its right there. On my SN clone, I dry hopped and it didn't have as much flavor as this one. Cheers!

I actually prefer this recipe to SN, but maybe I'm biased. I've got the ingredients for this in my hobby room right now. I'm probably going to be brewing it in the next couple of days. I've made a few changes. I'm going to add .75 oz of willamette split up between 15/5/flame out. I think this will compliment the cascades very well.

I really enjoyed this brew! Great easy drinking beer. Although I now know, I'm not a huge fan of Cream ale yeast. My next version of this will be S-4 or something clean.

What yeast did you use, electric_beer? The specified Nottingham is not a cream ale yeast - it's far more clean tasting than S-04, that's for sure. S-05 is a close second for this beer, anything else is gettin' all fanci-fied.

Khiddy said:
What yeast did you use, electric_beer? The specified Nottingham is not a cream ale yeast - it's far more clean tasting than S-04, that's for sure. S-05 is a close second for this beer, anything else is gettin' all fanci-fied.

I had just finished a cream ale (WLP080) and then washed the yeast for a quick repitch in hopes to not spend yet more cash right before Christmas (how I justified a kegerator :tank: ). Anyway, just not my favorite yeast. Can't win em all. Least it still tastes pretty good out the keg! That's how you know its a good recipe, even with the wrong yeast it tastes mighty fine! :mug:

I had just finished a cream ale (WLP080) and then washed the yeast for a quick repitch in hopes to not spend yet more cash right before Christmas (how I justified a kegerator :tank: ). Anyway, just not my favorite yeast. Can't win em all. Least it still tastes pretty good out the keg! That's how you know its a good recipe, even with the wrong yeast it tastes mighty fine! :mug:

After joining this forum and brewing some of Ed's recipes to the T, I have now favored my dry Nottingham and S-05. I have found that my house yeast (nottingham) is good in Pales, creams, stouts, and porters. I'm sure there are more that I brewed yet, but I'm sure nottingham or (S-05 that's damn close to Nottingham), will produce a cleam brew that I love given that ferm temps are right. I typically ferment at a ambient temp of 58*F for the first 72 hours then up to 62*F for the next 2 weeks.

Regardless of your ferm temps, you will have different results because I understand the Nottingham strain will produce different esters and what not at different temps, I'm sure you will have a good brew with the strain.

:drunk:,
J

Looking to brew this next and wondered if anyone has tried the PM version with success.. I browsed alot of the pages but didnt see where anyone has tried it. It will be my first venture away from extracts..thanks for any help.

Curious if you ended up trying the mini-mash version. I'm thinking of giving it a go this week and was wondering how it turned out.

I actually prefer this recipe to SN, but maybe I'm biased. I've got the ingredients for this in my hobby room right now. I'm probably going to be brewing it in the next couple of days. I've made a few changes. I'm going to add .75 oz of willamette split up between 15/5/flame out. I think this will compliment the cascades very well.

I just had some SN with pizza yesterday, and you are correct. This recipe is way better :mug:

Brewed another batch of this tonight. I've never gone through kegs of any beer as fast as I go through this recipe.

I got an extra Stout faucet, I'm thinking about doing a nitro on this to have a "pub ale" similar to Boddingtons on tap.

This was the recipe that I chose as the basis for my first brew with my new equipment (mill, HLT, MLT, etc). I tweaked the hops a bit - all cascade, but did a combination of First-wort hopping and late hopping. Turns out that my new system is very efficient, so I overshot the gravity by about ten points. The Notty yeast still finished out at 1.009. The gravity sample had a great hop flavor and aroma with a firm, but mild bitterness. I can't wait to brew this again following EW's true recipe.

my hop schedule had to look like this for my 2.75 gallon batch due to 5.4AA hops, will i still be fairly true to the recipe or should I attack getting my 39 IBU's through a different scheduling. thanks

0.75 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 27.8 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (30 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
0.20 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
0.15 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.1 IBU

Orginal recipe scaled to 2.75 gallons should have looked like this if AA's were 6.6 like edworts

.50oz 60 min
.25oz 30min
.125oz 15min
.125oz 5 min

Will my adjusted hop schedule be ok?

my hop schedule had to look like this for my 2.75 gallon batch due to 5.4AA hops, will i still be fairly true to the recipe or should I attack getting my 39 IBU's through a different scheduling. thanks

0.75 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 27.8 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (30 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
0.20 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
0.15 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.1 IBU

Orginal recipe scaled to 2.75 gallons should have looked like this if AA's were 6.6 like edworts

.50oz 60 min
.25oz 30min
.125oz 15min
.125oz 5 min

Will my adjusted hop schedule be ok?

I was using 5.4 AA cascades and some 4.5 willamettes and this is what I came up with.

1.3 oz cascades FWH 60 min
1/2 oz cascades 30 mins
.25 oz cascades 15 min
.25 oz willamette 15 min
.25 oz cascades 5 min
.25 oz willamette 5 min
.25 oz willamette 0 min

Pitched onto a cake of S-05 from an IPA I just finished.

Ibu 39
Og was 1.051 at 5.5 gallons.

The Brewmasters Warehouse recipe calls for 2oz cascade at 60 min. Is this a revision or a mistake?

I think it would depend on what the alpha acid percentage is. The cascades I bought were like 8.7 but need 2 oz at 60 minutes they'd have to be at like 3 percent or so.

Latest posts

Back