American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new to this, and my EdWort's Haus is now on keg. It was my first AG batch. I missed my gravity a bit (OG was 1.045).

It still is pretty good. One question though: it has a distinct nutty finish, and I'm wondering what this is from... is the Vienna, or the crystal? Maybe something I did wrong? Its not necessarily a bad flavor, just not something I was expecting, and I'm trying to figure out flavors.

Brewed this as my first all grain last night. I overshot the amount of water added to the sparge. I had (2) 5 gallon brew pots, both were pretty full. I added hops to the mash wort, while boiling both pots for 60 mins, after 60 mins the mash wort had lost some volume. I chilled 'em both, then put the mash wort into primary, and topped it off to 5 gallons with the overshot sparge wort. Mixed the hell out of them, OG ended up at 1.050.

Hopefully I didn't mess things up.

As I mentioned a few pages back, I brewed this recipe on 6-7-09 using 6.0% AA cascade and bottled it 6-20-09. I bypassed secondary so I could bring the batch to my annual summer camping trip and share with the family. We've got a mixed bunch in the family consisting of BMC drinkers and a few that truly enjoy a good beer. Everyone tried the beer that I brought and I couldn't believe the amount of positive feedback.

"Oh Man! This tastes like it's fresh out of the brewery!!" :p

Over the course of the weekend, many went back for second, third and fourth bottles of the pale ale, and easily killed all of the 12oz bottles I brought. Thankfully I bottled a few bombers that I kept home :mug:

I'll be brewing this recipe again, possibly as early as this weekend. Ed, thanks for the great recipe!

Curt

Still playing with this one in my spare time. I got two other posts in this thread with math. What I have been doing is using the base grains as a known springboard to learn about hops.

I just cracked one 9 days early, I bottled this 12 days ago and it is going to just flat rock. In a couple weeks.

So PM version, EdWort's grain bill, try this hop bill, Gruss Gott:

2.05HBU Tett in mash tun after protein rest as (60)
5.2 HBU USA Saaz (60) in dry kettle as FWH
1.75 HBU CZ Saaz, 2.2HBU USA Saaz and 2.35 HBU GR Select (30)
3.8 HBU USA Nugget (15)
3.3 HBU USA Nugget (5)

Holy cow man, I am going to run out of rubbers once this is on tap.

I brewed this a couple weeks ago. The grains were milled and sat around for almost 2 months before I got around to it. I knew it wasn't gonna taste the best due to the grains sitting around. I had planned on adding some fruit to the secondary to give it some flavor. Then this weekend I came across some black raspberry bushes on my parents property. I picked almost a quart and tonight I'm boiling and adding them. I'll let it set a week or two and let everyone know how it turned out.

Help!

I brewed this one up on the 5th of July. Everything went great. Fermentation went well but I got sick a few days later and wasn't really paying attention to the temp. When I finally checked the gravity and temp it was 77F and it had been hot all week. I think it must have gotten to 80F because the day I checked it the ambient temp was a bit lower than it had been previously. I took a sample and it smells super fruity, kinda like bananas!!
Is there any way to correct this goofy flavor or do I have to deal with bananna beer?

With a beer this bitter, you'll be masking a lot of that fruit. It may turn out better, who knows!

Brewed this again yesterday. My first batch was such a family favorite, I intended to buy the exact AA hops and grains again. Got to the LHBS and what do I see, only 7.5%AA cascade instead of the 6.0% I used last time and the giant rubbermaid bin for caramel 10...empty..RDWHAHB! I grabbed .5lb of caramel 20!

So what am I looking at? A little bit more bitter and a little darker? Yum!

Will post back in a couple of weeks how it all tastes!

Curt

Brewed this last night as my first attempt at all-grain brewing! I did a 2.5 gallon batch (converted everything with the Beer Recipator on-line) and mashed in a 5 gallon Rubbermaid round cooler with a SS braid loop. According to my math and Palmer's book, it looks like I hit right around 80% efficiency. I thought for sure I'd have screwed something up or lit the house on fire or something, but it actually went pretty smoothly. Now the hard part...the waiting for beer!

i just brewed this and forgot to add the aroma hops. any suggestions as to what I should do? I have the 1/4 ounce cascade and another ounce or two of cascade lying around. dry hop? how much?

so, should i dry hop? back three posts. would like to know what people think, as the fermentation is happening very quickly. leave it?

I meant to keep the packets, but accidentally threw them away. I ordered the kit from Bewmaster's Warehouse. So they traveled all the way from GA-CA in a hot FedEx truck. Even with an ice pack I am sure that the transit at this time of year was too much.

The first packet was a dud. I added a second and after 12-15 hours I got a small amount of activity. So this second packet must be doing the trick.

I must say though, when I opened up the bucket to add the second yeast, it smelt delightful. The best smelling batch I have made thus far.

I'm going to try this for a 3rd time now, but this time I'll use german pilsner malt and amarillo hops. I'll let you know how it turns out!

I'm going to try this for a 3rd time now, but this time I'll use german pilsner malt and amarillo hops. I'll let you know how it turns out!

I don't mean to single out this poster, but there are a ton of these types of comments here. I'm pretty new to this hobby myself, so I'm curious: Doesn't making changes like this, make it an entirely different beer? I mean, it doesn't even seem like it would resemble the original recipe, would it? For the record though, I have yet to make a recipe exactly as described.

Similar citrusy hop with a different base malt. I actually have no experience with pilsner malt, but if the vienna and citrus flavors come out I expect it to taste pretty similar.

Doesn't making changes like this, make it an entirely different beer? I mean, it doesn't even seem like it would resemble the original recipe, would it?

Yep, sure does. Changing a mash temp or hop time makes it a new beer, but that's the great thing about homebrewing.

It does work best to try the recipe as written first and then make your changes one thing at a time so you can see what each changes does to a beer.

Well I brewed another batch a week ago. I used all the ingredients as listed and added 4 oz. of honey malt. I plan on checking it today to see if it's finished, although I will probably wait until next weekend to bottle it. An extra week only seems to make it better. I just loves me some Haus Pale Ale.:mug:

I only have a 4 gallon pot, so how would the hop schedule need to be changed to facilitate a 2-3 gallon boil? Would I need to alter any other aspects of the recipe?

yeah, your utilization will be lower if you're boiling less wort and topping up.

mess around with an IBU calculator's volume variable until you get what you like

heres one

Snapped a terrible pic with my cell after racking my second batch of the pale ale today. But I'm going to share anyways. Had to make small substitutions due to LHBS inventory. I went with 7.5%AA cascade and Crystal 20L.

Taste test was great...just like the first batch.

batch10-1.jpg

That looks tasty!

Does this brew have little krausen? That's not much headspace...

It sat in primary and did it's business for 10 days. Final gravity was 1.011, so I'm hoping that the bulk of the fermenting goodness is finished with. If not, I'll just have to remove a bit to drink :mug:

I've brewed this beer twice (11 gallon batches) sticking exactly to the recipe each time. I was wondering if anyone had tried dry hopping this beer and how was the result?

Got a question for you guys- I brewed a 2.5 gallon batch about 10 days ago and pitched a rehydrated packet of Nottingham. I'm fermenting in a bucket, resting in a swamp cooler. (I usually get about 65-68 degrees F on the outside of the bucket with this.) In the past few days, I've been noticing a stronger and stronger banana smell coming out of the pantry where I've got this resting. I've read a few things on here about banana esters, but nothing solid on reducing them. Should I leave it to rest for another week or two, put it in secondary or just bottle it and hope for the best? Does anything help to reduce the banana?

Captain Badpicture strikes again!

Enjoying a pint from my first batch (brewed 6-7-09).

This is a great beer for those of you who are on the fence about brewing this!

batch8-3.jpg

I just racked to secondary and noticed my hydro sample had a definite banana bread note. I didn't have a fridge thermostat so I was more or less turning the fridge on and off manually...probably missing a few days, so it could have been fermenting at 70º now and then.
Gravity is at 1.023 after 18 days (OG 1.051)...

oh and i forgot to mention it tastes awesome!

Add me for 5 gallons, I ordered the kit from BMW.
It looks like the Cascade I got is 7.5% AA and I'm just going to go with it. Tinseth says 35 ibu and Rager says 45 so either way I should still be in the ballpark although just a bit hoppier than Ed's recipe.
-Ben

Well I tried this recipe as my first all grain batch yesterday. My home made cooler mash tun worked great!

I missed the strike temp, started at 155 and it dropped to 150 over the course of the hour. I figured that wasn't too harmful. I hit the water volume targets exactly.

Only problem was the OG... it came out only at 1.038!?

I am sure it will still yield a good beer, but I was really disappointed about not hitting the gravity...

I did the recipe right, came close to the temps, hit the volumes... I am going to check the PH of my water but besides that any ideas on why I was 15 points low on the gravity?

Latest posts

Back