Be careful with CO2 tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunch

Reaction score
I'm sortof stupid and new to the game. I thought you could just open a co2 tank and the regulator would protect you. It didn't occur to me that any tube before the regulator is subject to explode if you open your tank too much. So just a tip to those of you who don't know that. Open your tanks super slow.

Every time I get a new tank, my brother in law reminds me not to leave it in my car in the heat! I always say, "what am I, an idiot?".....but as soon as I drive off I think "Good Reminder!"

Don't mess around with that stuff!

I'm sortof stupid and new to the game. I thought you could just open a co2 tank and the regulator would protect you. It didn't occur to me that any tube before the regulator is subject to explode if you open your tank too much. So just a tip to those of you who don't know that. Open your tanks super slow.

Did you run the output of the tank through a hose to a remote regulator? If so that is a big no no unless you are using high pressure line rated for the full output of the tank. If you try to run the output of the tank straight into standard tubing, yep, the tubing is gonna blow and you could end up with the bottle launching itself if the full output is blowing out of the tank.

Hope everthing turned out OK.

Even the warning needs a warning. There's no way to "open the tank too much". The valve is either open or not and the full 1000psi or so is coming out. While they do make hose sets capable of handling this pressure, they are expensive. It's best to mount the regulator directly to the valve.

If you open the valve on a compressed gas cylinder equipped with a regulator too fast, it is possible to break the Bourdon tube in the gauge which will blow out the face of the regulator. So always open the cylinder valve slowly.

Bobby is right regarding total pressure, opening the valve slow or fast, it still builds up to the full pressure of the tank.

+ 1 to Bobby's comments. I would also add that you should first crack the valve before installing the regulator, this should clear any debris that could get chased into your regulator food grade of not Co2 is one of the less refined gases sold. And two, back out the PA (pressure adjustment) screw then open the valve on the cylinder. Now set your designated pressure. This is the procedures that is recommended for compressed o2 cylinders.

I prefer not to shock the diaphragm and potentially all the other low pressure devices down stream. Better off safe than sorry.

If your interested in HP pigtails (high pressure rated hoses) here is a link, they can be ordered @ just about any welding supply distributor. Or you could contact your local paint ball shop.

Sorry to hear about your accident.

If you open the valve on a compressed gas cylinder equipped with a regulator too fast, it is possible to break the Bourdon tube in the gauge which will blow out the face of the regulator. So always open the cylinder valve slowly.

Bobby is right regarding total pressure, opening the valve slow or fast, it still builds up to the full pressure of the tank.

I believe this is is also why your regulator valve should be closed/off when you open the cylinder valve. prevents a couple types of damage to the regulator.

Back