BE-256

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhedrick83

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed for the first time in a year due to life distractions and decided to try BE-256 for a Tripel rather than my usual liquid WLP-530 as my LHBS didn’t have the liquid in date. Never used the dry BE-256 before. Fermentation started off great and it was dropping like a rock from 1.087. For the last 16 hours, it’s been stuck on 1.037. I didn’t underpitch and I just gave it a good swirl in case there’s krausen stuck on the Tilt messing with it. I do have more BE-256, at what point should I pitch a bit more if we don’t get restarted?

Do you have the ability to warm it up? BE256 likes some heat. The spec sheet goes up to 79F. Sometimes that can help.
From this data, BE256 should hit FG within 4-5 days at anything room temperature or above. What day of fermentation are you on?
Last, before making any interventions, check your Tilt against a hydrometer sample. My last batch the tilt was 3 points off from the hydrometer. Like you said, there's a chance the tilt is being affected by krausen.

I wouldn't count it out yet. There's a good chance you got a few bad data points and your beer is just fine. Good luck!

Yeah, it’s in a ferm chamber with a heat wrap and a temp controller. Pitched at 64 and it’s risen to 73 mostly on its own, as it rises I keep a floor on it. I can always bump it a bit. I usually kept the WLP-530 rising slower to somewhat minimize the banana flavor. It’s on day 3

I just had a beer with BE-256 stall at 50% attenuation for a whole month. It wasn't going anywhere. I added Belle Saison and sugar, and then it took off again. Ultimately it turned out really nice, better than either one of the two yeasts on their own.

52491043721_c47d813a82_o.png

Last edited:
I just brewed a Wit with some BE-256 that expired last October. Did a vitality starter with cooled wort on brewday. Took a day to get going, but once it did it finished out quite well. Didn't get any banana/clove that I was hoping for, just a nice crisp Wit.

I am at day 13 with a Tripel. Sitting @ 1.011 (1.087 OG) in a 2 fermenter set up(2.75 g). I pitched 23 gr each fermenter @ 65.2 avg temp. Tasty with some alcohol bite. I am planning 2 more weeks to mellow and minimum 3 weeks in bottle conditioning.

I am at day 13 with a Tripel. Sitting @ 1.011 (1.087 OG) in a 2 fermenter set up(2.75 g). I pitched 23 gr each fermenter @ 65.2 avg temp. Tasty with some alcohol bite. I am planning 2 more weeks to mellow and minimum 3 weeks in bottle conditioning

I did several brews with BE-256, never had any problems with fermentation. These are my results of different batches with it:

1671358097629.png

Further statistics of my results:

1671358210924.png

I just brewed a Wit with some BE-256 that expired last October. Did a vitality starter with cooled wort on brewday. Took a day to get going, but once it did it finished out quite well. Didn't get any banana/clove that I was hoping for, just a nice crisp Wit.

According to a Fermentis presentation, genetically it falls in the British family of yeasts - which makes me think that it's a dry equivalent of something rather like WLP540, allegedly from Rochefort (who had some problems re-establishing after losing their kit to the German army in WWII, and ended up raiding the Palm yeastbank in the 1960s so it's plausible they ended up with a yeast that is not conventionally "Belgian"). So it's not really the yeast you want if you're looking for banana and clove, but is well suited to big dark beers, and might be an interesting choice for some British styles.

Don't worry about expiry dates on dry yeast, they have a half-life of 10 years or so. As it happens I pitched some September 2017 BE-256 into 13l (3.5 US gal) last weekend and went away, by the time I got back 4 days later it had ripped through 1.066 wort with 83% attenuation (and had actually blown some of it out of the bucket).

I brewed for the first time in a year due to life distractions and decided to try BE-256 for a Tripel rather than my usual liquid WLP-530 as my LHBS didn’t have the liquid in date. Never used the dry BE-256 before. Fermentation started off great and it was dropping like a rock from 1.087. For the last 16 hours, it’s been stuck on 1.037. I didn’t underpitch and I just gave it a good swirl in case there’s krausen stuck on the Tilt messing with it. I do have more BE-256, at what point should I pitch a bit more if we don’t get restarted?

Doubling down with more of the same doesn't usually work. It's worth checking with a hydrometer to see whether it's really at 1.037 or whether it's just a Tilt issue. Rousing and a bit of extra warmth would be the usual place to start.

According to a Fermentis presentation, genetically it falls in the British family of yeasts - which makes me think that it's a dry equivalent of something rather like WLP540, allegedly from Rochefort (who had some problems re-establishing after losing their kit to the German army in WWII, and ended up raiding the Palm yeastbank in the 1960s so it's plausible they ended up with a yeast that is not conventionally "Belgian"). So it's not really the yeast you want if you're looking for banana and clove, but is well suited to big dark beers, and might be an interesting choice for some British styles.

Don't worry about expiry dates on dry yeast, they have a half-life of 10 years or so. As it happens I pitched some September 2017 BE-256 into 13l (3.5 US gal) last weekend and went away, by the time I got back 4 days later it had ripped through 1.066 wort with 83% attenuation (and had actually blown some of it out of the bucket).

Doubling down with more of the same doesn't usually work. It's worth checking with a hydrometer to see whether it's really at 1.037 or whether it's just a Tilt issue. Rousing and a bit of extra warmth would be the usual place to start.
Interesting history lesson. Got me thinking to give this yeast a try with a stout/porter sometime.

Should it not finish, what would you pitch to get it to finish?

You can add Belle Saison, BE-134 or any other Saison yeast ( maybe a bit of sugar, just like dmtaylor did with one of his beers ) to see if it goes further down. Take a sample of the beer, make sure it's at around 20C/68F and use a calibrated hydrometer to measure gravity.

Latest posts

Back