Bayou Classic & Brewhemoth Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natefrog255

Reaction score
Okay, just making the transition from 2 gallons to 5 gallons. So outdoors, new equipment, etc. I have a 15g Brewhemoth Penrose Kettle and a Bayou Classic square propane fryer. I did a test run with water and seemed like it took a long time to get to boil.

So where should I have the regulator control valve on the fryer? Shall it be all out? I started with a blue flame and slowly increased, but I didn't know if I should be going all out and didn't want to waste the propane if not.

Any advice is appreciated!

How much water were you heating up at the time and how long is a long time?

I don't want to waste time if I should have it cranked on high BUT I don't want to ruin my kettle by too high of heat. I dropped 200 bones to get it.

How much water were you heating up at the time and how long is a long time?

It was going on 30 minutes and per my temp wasn't much over 125 degrees. I didn't measure water as was testing and burning off "new" scents, but I will say I had 4-5 gallons of water.

I wouldn't worry about damaging your kettle as long as there is liquid in it. 30 minutes to 125 does seem too long. I'd crank it up and see if that helps.

And it was fairly breezy so that may have had an effect. I'd imagine it being a new process that I will have a learning curve. Definitely will crank it a little more next time.

Make sure youre getting a nice blue flame. Tips orange OK, but if your entire flame is orange then you need to adjust your oxygen mix. Otherwise, crank 'er up!

Back