Bavarian Hefe primary done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steakandale

Reaction score
I made EdWort's Bavarian Hefe as my first all-grain. Fermentation was pretty violent. It's in a bucket and it sounded like there was a scuba diver in there! It has been 7days, and has not had any bubbles for days. I'm in Phoenix, so it fermented at house temps around 66-70. OG was 1.060, I measured a sample last night and it is now 1.012, Which is "done" and FG falls within "style" for a Hefe. It had sulfury odors though. The sample was not sweet, but didn't amaze me either.
Can I call it ready to bottle? Will the sulfur odors still clarify during bottle conditioning?
I was hoping to have it ready for the Super Bowl (2 weeks from today)

the only way to know if fermentation is over or not is to check the SG again after a few days. if its exactly the same then fermentation is done and you can bottle. the odors should go away with a proper amount of conditioning. but chances are your beer will not be done carbing by Super Bowl time.

I made EdWort's Bavarian Hefe as my first all-grain. Fermentation was pretty violent. It's in a bucket and it sounded like there was a scuba diver in there! It has been 7days, and has not had any bubbles for days. I'm in Phoenix, so it fermented at house temps around 66-70. OG was 1.060, I measured a sample last night and it is now 1.012, Which is "done" and FG falls within "style" for a Hefe. It had sulfury odors though. The sample was not sweet, but didn't amaze me either.
Can I call it ready to bottle? Will the sulfur odors still clarify during bottle conditioning?
I was hoping to have it ready for the Super Bowl (2 weeks from today)

An ambient temperature of 70 means the temperature of the fermenting beer may have been as high as 80. That is really far from optimal, and is most likely why it doesn't taste very good. I like to ferment my German-style wheats at 62-64 (that's the temp of the fermenting beer, not the ambient temp). I strongly recommend controlling your fermentation temps on future brews. Pick up a fermometer strip so you know what the temperature of the fermenting beer is.

I'm not sure about the sulfur.

Well, those temps are something I can't change for this batch. I'll make the best of it.

Since I'm new, I don't know if bottle conditioning will do the rest I hope for, or if there's any benefit to leaving in the primary bucket. I don't care about another click on the hydrometer really I think it has made it pretty far and I'm happy with that. I'll check tomorrow and if theres still no change, I'll bottle it up and see what happens, and I won't rush it for the Super Bowl. I might taste one or two then though! and if its good, start killing it off!!

My last batch was a Hefe. The fermentation did give off some strong sulfur smells after a few days. It fermented quickly and had very little taste (watery) after 10days even though fermentation was over after about 5 days. I let it sit for about 3 weeks in the primary and the flavor increased astronomically.

I think you did ferment it quite a bit too high but what's done is done. At this point I would let it sit in the primary on the yeast to allow them to clean it up a little after a hot fermentation.

Back