Strong Bitter Battletoad SMaSH - English Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remmy

Drink First, Ask Questions Later
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast British Ale 1098
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
1.5-liter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4.38 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
18 @ 68F
Tasting Notes
Crisp, biscuity flavor. Nicely-balanced with the Citra hops.
Ingredients

12.00 lb United Kingdom Pale 2-Row - 100.0%

Hops

0.5 oz Columbus (60 min.) - Bittering
0.75 oz Citra (10 min.)
0.75 oz Citra (5 min.)
0.5 oz Citra (0 min.)

Yeast

Wyeast British Ale 1098 (1.5-liter starter).

Mash at 152F for 90 minutes.
Batch sparge with 185F water.

Comments

I had 89% efficiency. Crisp beer. Very biscuity and a great, easy drinker. The Citra doesn't take the stage in this beer. It came out very balanced.

batt.jpg

Thank you.

Nope - British 2-row.

This looks similar to a smash I'm doing today with Maris Otter and an ounce of Columbus. My ibu will be around thirty six ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So are you sparging so hot to reduce the amount of hops needed? Won't sparging that hot make the beer really tart due to all the tannins in the grain husks leaching out?

I sparge with 185 degree water and never taste tannins in any of my beers. I do it to stop the conversion. It's not boiling hot.

So are you sparging so hot to reduce the amount of hops needed? Won't sparging that hot make the beer really tart due to all the tannins in the grain husks leaching out?

You have to Sparge hot to stop the enzymatic actions on the grain. If the Sparge is 185-ish and you mash at 155-ish, then the temp will settle at around 170. The two mediums will "meet in the middle" as it were.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back