Batch sparging confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you solder the joints or just friction fit them together?

They are friction fit. I found a piece of steel rod with a tapered end and formed each copper piece with it. It made each end opening round again (after being in a CNC vise for the hole drilling) and made each one a snug fit. They don't come apart until you want them to.

The nice thing is I can take the entire end off the manifold an rinse it out with a garden hose quickly. Then the manifold folds back down into the bottom of the cooler.

Why take batch sparge instructions from a guy who doesn't batch sparge?

Whoa now. The guy's not like my best friend or anything. He wrote up a bunch of articles with recipes and instructions.

I had been taking the first runnings at mash out and then adding 168º sparge water, stirring, resting, and then draining for my full pre-boil volume. But my efficiencies were consistently low. 65-70%.

I tried one of Jamil's recipes, after my 60 minute mash added boiling water until mash was 168ºF and let it rest. Then proceeded with my day. My efficiencies jumped to a consistent 75-80%. And most importantly, the flavor of my brews improved.

I really don't know the guy all that well. I don't follow him on twitter or facebook or even to the grocery store. I honestly don't know how he brews at home. Or care really...

Whoa now. The guy's not like my best friend or anything. He wrote up a bunch of articles with recipes and instructions.

I had been taking the first runnings at mash out and then adding 168º sparge water, stirring, resting, and then draining for my full pre-boil volume. But my efficiencies were consistently low. 65-70%.

I tried one of Jamil's recipes, after my 60 minute mash added boiling water until mash was 168ºF and let it rest. Then proceeded with my day. My efficiencies jumped to a consistent 75-80%. And most importantly, the flavor of my brews improved.

I really don't know the guy all that well. I don't follow him on twitter or facebook or even to the grocery store. I honestly don't know how he brews at home. Or care really...

I would guess your mashout helped but I'm still a tad skeptical. Perhaps you thinned the wort enough to get more fluidity??

So things have gone a little OT, but I'd just like to thank denny (sorry 'bout callin you 'danny'), yooper, and everyone else who offered advice. I'm just going to take denny's method and run with it - braided hose and everything (I can always build a manifold later on if I want to go back to fly). This weekend I'm building the MLT, immersion chiller and a few other bits. Assuming SWMBO'd can be convinced to transfer a wine out of one of our primaries*, I'll start a batch next weekend!

Bryan

*who'd ever have thought that marrying a fellow brewer would lead to issues, rather than solve them?

I know him pretty well and consider him a good friend....that's why I said what I did! Glad he helped you improve your beers.

I know him pretty well and consider him a good friend....that's why I said what I did! Glad he helped you improve your beers.

Whew! I thought for a bit that I had committed a HBT faux pas in mentioning him. I've checked out your website. Turns out the design I used in making my mashtun leads directly back to you. So, thanks!

I'm gonna bring this thread back on-topic now. Sorta.

I'm in favor of the OP using Method 2. With the technique I mentioned before. Tre9er mentioned:

I would guess your mashout helped but I'm still a tad skeptical. Perhaps you thinned the wort enough to get more fluidity??

I typically mash at 1.5 qts/lb. Does getting more fluidity help in getting higher efficiencies? I had attributed it to bringing the mash to a higher temp. There are a ton of recipes that require the mash to be brought to higher temps in steps.

I add an extra pound of grain to the recipe, mash at 1.5qts/lb then do a single sparge with acidified water (no rest). I then just add acidifed water to reach pre-boil gravity (not volume) right into the kettle.

Whew! I thought for a bit that I had committed a HBT faux pas in mentioning him. I've checked out your website. Turns out the design I used in making my mashtun leads directly back to you. So, thanks!

I'm gonna bring this thread back on-topic now. Sorta.

I'm in favor of the OP using Method 2. With the technique I mentioned before. Tre9er mentioned:

I typically mash at 1.5 qts/lb. Does getting more fluidity help in getting higher efficiencies? I had attributed it to bringing the mash to a higher temp. There are a ton of recipes that require the mash to be brought to higher temps in steps.

And those steps are almost never necessary. I found that my efficiency went up a little bit when I went to thinner (1.66-2 qt./lb.) mashes. I no longer do a discrete "mash out" step. I just sparge with 190-200F water which accomplishes about the same thing. You don't really denature the enzymes (you need to hold the temp 20+ min.l to do that), but it solubulizes the remaining starch and helps convert it. The thinner mashes also seem to be responsible for raising my conversion efficiency to pretty much 100% every time.

And those steps are almost never necessary. I found that my efficiency went up a little bit when I went to thinner (1.66-2 qt./lb.) mashes. I no longer do a discrete "mash out" step. I just sparge with 190-200F water which accomplishes about the same thing. You don't really denature the enzymes (you need to hold the temp 20+ min.l to do that), but it solubulizes the remaining starch and helps convert it. The thinner mashes also seem to be responsible for raising my conversion efficiency to pretty much 100% every time.

Starting a new thread called "Parti-gyle style". Would freakin' love your input!

So I completed my first attempt at a batch sparge this weekend. It went quite well, except for one problem that I hope people here can comment on.

I mashed in at 64C, 2.6L/kg grain (~155F, 1.5qt/lb), mashed for 60min (iodine test showed conversion was complete at 45min), drained the tun, and then added the amount of sparge water @74C recommended by beersmith (18.8L, ~5 US gal) - this is slightly MORE than what denney's formula predicts. I stirred the crap out of it and drained - this should have given me 27L (~7 US gal, 7.5 by dennies calcs) of pre-boil wort; instead I was a gallon short - only 24L! Near the end I had the odd experience of being able to pull a cup or two of wort out every 10min by sucking on the tube, but even with that, was really short on the volume.

I carefully dissected the grainbed, to see if the braided tube had come off the bottom, or there was more deadspace than I originally predicted, but everything was OK.

Where did my gallon of water go? And yes, both beersmith and I calc'd grain absorption (recipe was 88% 2-row, remainder crystal 60 and cara-pils). As it was, I had nearly 80% mash efficiency, but it should have been closer to 85%!

Bryan

PS: aside from the missing wort issue, it was otherwise great. I will be batch-sparging form now on...

Bryan, is there any dead space in your cooler that could be holding wort? Next time, after you run off your mash, measure how much you have. Subtract that from the volume you want to boil. That amount is how much sparge water to use. FWIW, the figures on my web page are approximations as examples. You need to establish those values for your own system.

Hey dude. I batch sparge with a little less water than my mash volume at boiling or just under. One sparge addition in a standard picnic cooler. I'm sure it's the same as yours. I hit all my numbers within a couple points, but I 2X grind my grain at my lhbs. I get pretty dang good efficiency, I believe, from the double grind despite my lack of knowledge... But I make my own luck! and beer🍻

Bryan, is there any dead space in your cooler that could be holding wort? Next time, after you run off your mash, measure how much you have. Subtract that from the volume you want to boil. That amount is how much sparge water to use. FWIW, the figures on my web page are approximations as examples. You need to establish those values for your own system.
The dead-space is minimal; with the braided hose on the bottom there is ~125ml (1/2 cup) of dead-space, created by the little indent below the drain. If I fill with water and drain (i.e. no grain), that's all that remains. Like I said in my last post, I "dissected" the grain bed to look for pooling and/or the braided hose having lifted, and found neither (I did find the 1/2 cup worth of dead space, as expected, but nothing more).

I'm guessing that my grain absorbed more water than is usual, but a whole extra gallon in what was an ~12lb grain bill - that seems unlikely, based on my past experience.

I'm brewing again, two weekends from now. I'll try bumping up the sparge volume to see if that makes things better.

Bryan

I'm brewing again, two weekends from now. I'll try bumping up the sparge volume to see if that makes things better.

Bryan

I always heat up more sparge than I need. Just stop running off when you hit preboil volume. No need to stress over exact strike/sparge volumes that way.

The dead-space is minimal; with the braided hose on the bottom there is ~125ml (1/2 cup) of dead-space, created by the little indent below the drain. If I fill with water and drain (i.e. no grain), that's all that remains. Like I said in my last post, I "dissected" the grain bed to look for pooling and/or the braided hose having lifted, and found neither (I did find the 1/2 cup worth of dead space, as expected, but nothing more).

I'm guessing that my grain absorbed more water than is usual, but a whole extra gallon in what was an ~12lb grain bill - that seems unlikely, based on my past experience.

Bryan

Did you measure your first run-off and subtract that from your pre-boil target volume? The result is what you'll need for the batch sparge. You don't need to add more than that - the grain will absorb all it's going to absorb during the mash. One thing that might help (you probably already thought of it but just in case) - put a brick, a block or a phone book under the end of your cooler opposite the drain.

Provided you've reached your pre-boil gravity as well

True, I don't have a refractometer and the temp adjustments don't seem to be entirely accurate with a hydrometer. Usually I hit my efficiency or higher, so I stick to volume. Technically if you want to nail the OG yes, you'd want to take gravity readings from the BK and keep an eye on that as you fill it.

I always heat up more sparge than I need. Just stop running off when you hit preboil volume.
I'm brewing in a week, and I'm going to try that next time. Plus, I boiled off way more than I expected (first time with a turkey firer; holly-crap!), so I'm going to bump up my pre-boil volume as well.

Did you measure your first run-off and subtract that from your pre-boil target volume? The result is what you'll need for the batch sparge.
No, I didn't. I went with the numbers I calc'd by hand off of Denney's site, and the numbers calc'd by beersmith (they were close to the same). I'm going to up my volumes next batch; hopefully it'll be closer.

Bryan

I check the actual gravity against the intended pre-boil gravity when I hit the pre-boil volume from the sparge (measure volume of first run-off, add just enough sparge water to hit the pre-boil volume). The efficiency is usually higher than expected so here's an equation for correcting that with brewing water instead of increasing your volume (I'm volume limited and plan for the absolule max that I can boil):

Efficiency Too High

(PBV) Pre-Boil Volume [Gallons]
(PBG) Recipe Pre-Boil Gravity
(AG) Actual Mash Gravity
(RV) Removed Volume to be Replace with Brewing Water [Gallons]

RV = PBV*(1 – PBG/AG)

Example

PBV = 4.125
PBG = 48
AG = 54
RV = 4.125*(1-48/54) = 0.46 gallons

I check the actual gravity against the intended pre-boil gravity when I hit the pre-boil volume from the sparge (measure volume of first run-off, add just enough sparge water to hit the pre-boil volume). The efficiency is usually higher than expected so here's an equation for correcting that with brewing water instead of increasing your volume (I'm volume limited and plan for the absolule max that I can boil):

Efficiency Too High

(PBV) Pre-Boil Volume [Gallons]
(PBG) Recipe Pre-Boil Gravity
(AG) Actual Mash Gravity
(RV) Removed Volume to be Replace with Brewing Water [Gallons]

RV = PBV*(1 – PBG/AG)

Example

PBV = 4.125
PBG = 48
AG = 54
RV = 4.125*(1-48/54) = 0.46 gallons
My pre-boil gravity was higher than expected (equivalent to 85% mash efficiency); my planning was for 75%. But, because I didn't sparge enough, my final mash efficiency was more like 79%, and total brewery efficiency was on the low side (I forget the exact numer; perhaps 60%). Funny thing is, I hit my OG pretty much dead-on; would have had a realy boozy beer if I'd spraged better (not like that's an issue!).

Bryan

Back