Batch Sparge time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdiddy84

Reaction score
I was wondering how long of a process everyone else's batch Sparge and vorlouf are? Mine was 45 minutes this weekend and I was wondering if everyone else takes their time with it?
I don't mind the 45 minute process and I've also read that the slower you Sparge the sugars you will extract.

Batch sparging simply dilutes the entire post-first-runnings mash volume.
The sugar content is set by the sparge volume. There's not much to be gained in taking more time than required to drain the 2nd runnings - which is the rate just below sticking the bed.

Totally different from "fly sparging", where time actually does matter. A lot...

Cheers!

When I used to fly sparge, I would sparge for at least an hour. Now that I wisened up and batch sparge, the sparging process rarely takes more than 20 minutes.

If you crush well enough and have the right pH, sparging slowly doesn't have much effect. I get >80% efficiency by mashing 40-45 minutes and sparging in about 5-10 minutes (BIAB, dunk in hot water).

~10-15 minutes to, stir the bag (BIAB+batch sparge), pull it, squeeze it, dunk it into another pot, open the bag, stir again for 5 minutes, then pull the bag and squeeze again.

Batch sparging simply dilutes the entire post-first-runnings mash volume.
The sugar content is set by the sparge volume. There's not much to be gained in taking more time than required to drain the 2nd runnings - which is the rate just below sticking the bed.

Totally different from "fly sparging", where time actually does matter. A lot...

Cheers!

That's good to know, I think next time I'll open the valve a little more to speed the process up and maybe do equal running's. Just brewed Centennial Blonde and my strike water was 2.8G and sparge water was somewhere around 5.6G. I did feel like the wort was diluted by the time the sparge was done.

When I used to fly sparge, I would sparge for at least an hour. Now that I wisened up and batch sparge, the sparging process rarely takes more than 20 minutes.

Going to aim for a 20 Min Sparge next brew.

In a totally unrelated post, My wife is jealous of your bar. I showed her your thread last week and she wants the same thing done in our basement. Which I was surprised at because she drinks maybe 12 beers a year.

My sparges were really slow--like your 45 min or even longer. Since I've started troubleshooting, I've started to think its temperature related. When my mash ends in the mid to upper 140s, its slow. Last time it ended around 145 and drained slowly so I added maybe a half gallon of boiling water. After that it flowed fine. That's the second or third time I've been able to fix it by adding hot water.

Going to aim for a 20 Min Sparge next brew.

In a totally unrelated post, My wife is jealous of your bar. I showed her your thread last week and she wants the same thing done in our basement. Which I was surprised at because she drinks maybe 12 beers a year.

That's awesome. Getting your wife on board is half 99% of the battle! In actuality though, we use the bar for far more than just drinking. We'll have breakfast there, sit there for dinner sometimes, just hang out and play darts, etc. And it's a great place for gathering. Since I built the bar, we go to other people's houses much less, as they usually want to come to us! This is a downside if you're not social, or you hate cleaning up afterwards... But I love it, because I get to see everyone without having to drive and worry about a DD, etc.

Latest posts

Back