Batch Size - Post Boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonestar

Reaction score
When designing recipes and setting the batch size it should be set for the post boil volume correct? That is technically the final batch size even though it won't all make it to the fermenter.

The way I've been doing it is my batch size is what actually goes into the fermenter. Very roughly .... 7 gal into the kettle from 1st runnings and sparge, boil off a gal and leave 0.5 gal behind with trub so 5.5 goes into the fermenter. That's my batch size. From that I'll bottle a tad bit more than 5 gal.

Is that how others see it?

That's what's love about beer smith. You can set how much you expect to lose in the mash tun, and boil kettle. When you give it what you want for the batch size, it takes everything into account to give you how much strike and sparge water you will need to compensate. I did this yesterday and was spot on except that I forgot to tell it that I was planning a 90 min boil and was .5 gallons off......

Back