Batch priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tims5377

Reaction score
I am making an arrogant bastard clone and I would like to use different size bottles (really, just to be fancy). If I am batch priming can I still do this or will some bottles be over carbonated while others are under carbonated?

You'll be fine. There might be slight carb differences based on the slightly different ratio of volume to headspace between bottle types, but likely not enough to be noticeable.

I bottle with 12 oz and 22 oz from the same bottling bucket all the time. I've never had a problem.

Go for it, you'll be fine.

Some people experience longer waits until larger bottles are fully carbed, but they all get there, eventually.

I've batch primed and then bottled in a number of different sized bottles. Everything came out about the same. Any variation in carbonation seemed to be more random than related to bottle size.

I bottle 12's, 16's, and 22's. The larger the bottle the longer it seems to take to carbonate. The difference is maybe a few more days so I just drink from the smaller bottles until they are gone and then break into the bigger vessels.

Back