Batch Or Fly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dok

Reaction score
I am brewing a Bohemian Pilsner this weekend. I am doing a 75% dilution of my tap water with distilled. I wanted to see what the consensus is if I either batch sparge, or fly sparge with my sparge water acidified with lactic acid. Which of the two would be best?
I typically do a fly sparge and I get an 85% efficiency. My water is a p.h. of 9, Ca 26, alkalinity as CaCo3 57, Chloride 22, Sulfate 90. I plan on adding 1.6 grams of g Gypsum and 2.8 grams of CaCl to my mash. Any thoughts?

I'm drinking some of my bopils right now, from a batch sparge, and I must say, it is excellent. Mmmm mmmm. Sorry, I know that doesn't help you in the least, but I made 20 gallons of this stuff this fall and batch worked just fine.

I use a similar mixture, using RO water and highly filtered tap water for pilsner. I add acidulated malt instead of salts, etc., and do an acid rest at about 100 degrees, until the mash ph drops. My tap water is 7.2 ph. You're water is much more alkaline. You'll probably need to treat you're sparge water. Tannin likes high ph. There is a 5.2 ph stabilizer available, check with your LHBS. If your brewing according to style. Decoction procedure should be used. Along with a mash out and fly sparge. Sparge slowly. If you're using Weyerman Boh. floor malt, a short protein rest won't hurt. Boil the wort for a minimum of two hours with the lid off and cool as fast as you can, to get below 160 to stop DMS from re-forming. I pitch 1.25 gallons of Pilsner Urquel or Budvar yeast starter in 15 gallons of wort. If your beer isn't crystal clear after lagering. Future brews may require filtering and carbing with CO-2.

I know my response won't really be helpful, but I have recently gone from fly sparging to batch. I think at some point, I started making things overly difficult. I am in a simplification mode. I guess it depends on how technical you want to get. I have to admit, batch sparging is almost too easy.

Back