Batch Done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downhill_biker

Reaction score
I just took a hydrometer reading on my first two batches and was wondering if my beer is done?

I have hit both my target ABV 6.5 on the oktoberfest, and 6.0(5.0 target) on cream ale. Both had a slight amount of head on them when I opened the buckets. The local brew shop said when I get down to the low 1.010-1.014 range that I can bottle. I am getting 1.012 in one and 1.014 in the other, but it has only been a week...

How do I really know when it's done and what should I do in this situation?

They need to stay the same for at least a few days to know that fermentation is complete however revvy has taught me and I can say from my experiences leave it in 3 weeks to a month just cuz fermentation is done doesn't mean the yeast are done they clean everything up and if you wait three or four weeks you'll have a much better beer.

And since your close by I can come drink your beer and it will taste good

Let it sit on the cake for at least another week (I always go at least 3 weeks), the flavor of the beer will clean up with a little more time. You could technically bottle now but waiting will give you clearer, better beer.

Thanks guys. Sounds great. I will leave it in for sure. Now...why would it "clean up" more in the firmenter and not in the bottle. Won't it be basically the same?

i look for the same reading 1 time, then 3 days later. if that happens, it's completely done. in the fermenter and the bottle, the main difference you're looking for is, once you bottle it, you get it off the yeast

The yeast will clean up after themselves. By taking it off the yeast cake you drastically reduce the number of yeast cells that can do that job.

Back