Batch #13

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingfish

Reaction score
Batch #13 I wanted to do something a little different. I am starting to lose my taste for high IBU beers and wanted to go with something malty and slightly sweet. My GF does not like beer but has never had anything really good besides an IPA and that did not go over well.

My goal is for something flavorful with good malt character with a bit of sweetness with low bitterness and carbonation in a British/Scottish style.

Malts:
7# Golden Promise or Marris Otter
1.5# 20L Crystal
1.5# 60L Crystal
1.5# Munich
1.5# Victory

Hops:
1oz Fuggles 60min
1oz Fuggles 20min

Mash:
Mash at 155F for 60 minutes.
No mashout
52qt cooler
Batch sparge

Yeast:
Wyeast London Ale III 1318
1.5L starter

Ferment Conditions:
63F for 2-3 weeks

Bottling:
12oz bottles primed with 3oz turbinado

OG should be around 1.064 based on 75% efficiency which is a little more than I really want but as I have not brewed in a while and have all new equipment, I wanted to compensate and if I do hit 1.064 with an FG of 1.017 I will be happy.

I had thought about doing a parti-gyle and making something that will be ready to drink a little quicker.

So, general thoughts on the recipe? Thoughts on parti-gyle? Thoughts on how short to trim the beard this summer?

I would scale the crystal back quite a bit, to the tune of ~1-1.5# total Crystal. And to get to 1.064 you are probably going to need another 2# of base malt after taking the CR down. I don't have a calculator handy so . . .

Another thing to keep in mind - CR contributes to the OG, but it is non-fermentable sugar, so a 1.064 OG batch with 3# CR, only 1.045 of that is fermentable.

Good tip, thanks.

8.5# Base
1.5# Munich
1.5# Victory
1# 60L Crystal

Beersmith gives me OG of 1.063

I say go with it and see what happens. There's certainly more that you could tweak, but this should be a good start to see if she will like a more robust, malty beer.

beard length is relative to the last time being told to hack it down.

Back