Barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodlingMoth

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a couple I barrels pretty soon. 5-6 gallon size. One to run Brett cultured cider, and one for more normal kinds. Does anyone recommend a good source for inexpensive used wine barrels that size? Especially around Chicago?

Thanks

Just looked at craigslist and saw this, not sure how close that city is to you. It's a whiskey barrel.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/grd/3563559512.html

I'd avoid whiskey barrels for aging cider if possible, the heavy char they put on these barrels can really overpower the apple notes. Instead try to get a toasted barrel as used in wine. Not saying the result is gonna be bad, but one can expect more barrel flavor and less apple flavor.

I would recommend calling them, and then asking if they have any wine barrels as well, if not, if they know anyone that does.

Good idea. I am looking for a medium toast barrel so a whiskey one may be too charred. A new wine one would be nice. A little more than I want to spend. Prolly shouldn't be such a cheap ass. I think the Brett plus the wood would be a fun combo. Thanks guys.

Bryan Wine Equipment Co. In Gonzales Ca will ship anyplace.... French oak and American oak wine barrels, All different kinds of spirits barrels like whiskey barrels In all different sizes and all different char levels...

Latest posts

Back