Barrel Aging Home Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there guys!

Couldn't find an exact place to put this question, so figured I'd start here!

I went on a whiskey tasting yesterday and was able to purchase a 5 Liter oak aged bourbon barrel! Got it at a super low price and was very excited to add it to my brew cave! :rockin:

I currently have a kegged Black IPA all carbonated and am currently serving. IF i were to add this beer to the barrel, how long should i let it age? -and- when in the barrel should i use an airlock in the top hole or the wooden stopped that came with the barrel?

Also any other barrel aging techniques and/or suggestions that you could offer up would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers! :mug:
Matt
:ban:

Since the barrel is pretty small and fairly new, you'll want to monitor the time pretty closely. Seven days is usually good for oak chips, but a barrel of this size can impart some serious oak/vanilla flavors quickly into your beer. There isn't really a specific formula for the time, just rack to the barrel and taste it every day. When it's where you like it, rack it off. Yes, use an airlock on top of the barrel. If you have time I'd grab the "Wild Brews" book. It has a lot of information on aging beer in barrels (albeit related to Belgian beer).

We have a 53 gallon bourbon barrel in my basement full of a huge RIS. kblankenship11 is right, just take a small sample every 5-7 days till you like it. Our beer has been in a freshly dumped, of bourbon, barrel for over 3 months, but that is common for larger barrels. I don't have experience with a small barrel.
Make sure you water test the barrel before you fill it with beer. And no, you won't lose any of the barrel's flavor by filling and draining with water.
Good luck!

Very short time. I have 4-3 gal and they take some where around 2 weeks. But check it regularly. 7 of us have a black barley wine in a 58gal Buffalo Trace barrel for 2 1/2 months and it is great so far.

Back