barrel 1/3 full please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mademeadmad

Reaction score
batch primed my ruby red, ended up with fifty bottles, 1/3 still left in barrel, my question is :-i wll not have any bottles until weekend, will i have to prime again? what impact will this have on my beer having sat in a barrel for a week and being primed for a second time!

While I don't know all of the specifics about your process, my guess is that the remainder would be very oxygenated by the weekend. I am assuming that you tranfered from the fermentation vessel into a bottling bucket ("barrel"). In doing so you removed the blanket of CO2 that was protecting the beer. Unless you replace that blanket the beer will have been exposed to entirely too much oxygen. Again, that is simply my guess from the information given. If that is the case, I would sacrifice the remainder of the batch, start a new one, and enjoy the 50 tasty ones you have.

Mad, I don't think you're going to be able to save this one unless you have a way to seal it off and even then I wouldn't hold out much hope. All that additional oxygen is gonna cause some problems - I THINK.

Also, you'll definitely have to reprime. One of my first batches I royally screwed up by priming and not bottling for 8 hours. The lid was all distended as I had resealed the container and pressure was building. I bottled everything and it was never carbed.

Maybe someone will disagree with me though.

Do you have a way to purge the oxygen out of the bottling bucket and fill with co2?
The yeast are going to produce more co2 with the sugar you just gave them. I think I would try repriming when you get the bottles ready and bottle it up.
Mark them and keep them seperate. The amount of sugar should not appreciably change the beer, just a slight bump in ABV.

50 bottles and still 1/3 barrel to go, what size batch? and what does barrel mean to you?

With the addition of the priming sugar you need to put an airlock on, if you are going to let it sit, since fermentation has been restarted.

The sugar will ferment out and create a new layer of CO2. So yes, you will need to re-prime. Personally I would not be overly concerned about the oxygen issue.

Thanks for the responses, will reprime and bottle 2day, i will post on how they compare to the fifty already done in about a month, so fingers crossed.

mademeadmad said:
Thanks for the responses, will reprime and bottle 2day, i will post on how they compare to the fifty already done in about a month, so fingers crossed.

Sounds like they are going to be over primed. To not get bottle bombs you would have to let the brew ferment out the sugar you added then go about priming and bottling the remainder.

I guess the question is how much of the priming sugar fermented out after five days in the barrel, i added less than half a teaspoon to each bottle as there would have been at least some of the first priming sugar in the beer. I tasted it (flat beer) as expected.

the beer that has been primed twice tastes bitter and is just about drinkable (but not by me) i'm wondering its been 2weeks, is there a chance this beer could improve with time & iron out this unpleasant bitter taste?????
The original 50 bottles of st peters ruby red are so good i would highly recommend...

the beer that has been primed twice tastes bitter and is just about drinkable (but not by me) i'm wondering its been 2weeks, is there a chance this beer could improve with time & iron out this unpleasant bitter taste?????

Bitter? Your beer wouldn't get bitter from priming twice. Only thing I could see happening would be a "hot" alcohol taste which should dissipate in time.

IT WILL BE FINE!!!! Don't slosh it much. Jesus fellas!!!

WTF?(not you OP, just the rest of the doomsayers in here)

Don't panic.

Re-prime when bottles are available.

Worst case brew another 4 gallons and pitch it on your leftovers.

Sanitation is important, but in a pinch, fermented beer isn't just up and die on you at the drop of a hat.

Latest posts

Back