Barleywine problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellfire_studios

Reaction score
Brewed an all grain barley wine following the recipe in brewing classic styles. Everything went fine in brewing it, fermenting also. It fermented and secondaried in three weeks. My problem is I bottled it and after a month in the bottle I tried it to find it has no carbonation. Checked two different bottles in different cases so I am sure it's the same throughout the batch. I am guessing I should unbottle them all back into a bottling bucket and pitch some more yeast? The beer is sweeter that it should be so I am guessing the sugar is still there from bottling....what would you do?

Cool your jets, chief. High OG beers will take a long time to carbonate. I made a 10.3% ABV barleywine and it took 3 months to carbonate.

When you say your fermentation went fine, what was your final gravity? Did you measure it a few times before bottling? or just once while bottling? Was fermentation complete?

Big beers take longer to ferment, and it is possible that the yeast got tired and went to sleep (or the yeast did not have enough time to finish). Which would leave your FG too high and your beer too sweet. It could also explain the lack of carbonation( tired yeast). You could also be tasting the priming sugar which the tired yeast did not bother to consume yet.

You could try rousing the bottles and keeping them at room tempature (low 70's) for a few weeks to see if the carbonation happens on its own.

If it looks like your yeast are too pooped to party, I would NOT transfer them into a big bucket to fix the problem. You risk too much in oxidation & contamination. I would rather boil some water, let it cool, and then add some fresh dry yeast. I might even add a little bit of this beer (room temp) to the yeast 40 mL at a time every 10 minutes for an hour to get them aclimated to the higher wort gravity.

Then uncap each beer carefully, and put a few mL of yeast into each bottle and recap. Hopefully, you will have some fresh engergized yeast to tackle the priming sugars and create the carbonation you need.

Good luck,
--LexusChris

Thanks for the input. I checked the final gravity at end of primary fermentation and it was around 1.015 og was 1.100 then I racked to secondary and let it stay for about another two weeks. I tasted it then and it was hoppy and dry like I wanted it. Then I went to bottle using tasty brew.com's priming calc I added the appropriate amount of sugar. This is the biggest beer I have made so I figured the yeast are just pooped out. Btw I used three packs of wyeast 1056. It tastes way sweeter and less hop flavor. I am assuming I am tasting just the sugar that was added at bottling. So should I try to roust the yeast and let them sit longer? Btw they are all still being conditioned at about 72 degrees I only cooled the two beers I tasted . I hope this info will help you help me lol.

Agreed with doug up above, it'll take a lot longer than the usual 3-4 weeks to carbonate this one. I had a doppel (OG 1.076) take 3 months as well. Let it sit for another month or two at least. Barleywines need some age on them.

Cool. I was wigging out a little lol thanks for the help I will let them keep going and taste again next month and see where it is. I had planned on aging it a year or so but just decided to try it and it freaked me out with no carbonation.

I bottled a barleywine in March, and I have opened a few recently that still aren't carbed. I'm going to just wait until Fall to drink any more. High alcohol environments just stress and kill yeast, so you probably don't have a lot of live cells left in the bottles. It will eventually carb, though, it will just take a few months. I would definitely recommend rousing the bottles once a week and maybe placing them on the top shelf of a closet so they are a few degrees warmer. Mid-70's won't hurt anything during bottle conditioning, IMO.

yeah, wait it out. my double ipa came in at like 9.8% and it didn't get bubbly and heady until about 3 months, at which point it was smooth as hell (and very quickly gone!)

congrats on your barleywine! mind sharing the recipe?

i'd definitely recommend keg carbonating if you can. it's a great way to dial in specific carbonation and clarify the beer. i don't know much about long term conditioning and the importance of maintaining a yeast presence, but i've had great success bottling beers that are consumed within a few months of bottling.

in his DHF 120 clone thread, scottland discusses a great bottling tactic - once carbed, turn the regulator down to ~2PSI and bottle. this provides enough pressure to move the beer and moves it slowly enough to reduce turbulence.

I have had trouble dialing in my bottling from the keg. I will have to try that technique. if I could find something that I know works well every time I would never bottle condition again. I have mainly been bottle conditioning beers that I am entering into contest because I am not a pro at bottling off the keg yet (even though I have had kegs for years now :( ).

Barleywine recipe. Based off of the jamil recipe....5 gallon batch

1.0 lb crystal 10l
1.0 lb crystal 80l
0.25 lb pale chocolate 200l
0.25 lb special b 120 l
24.5 lb american 2-row

magnum 2.5 oz 60 min
chinook 1.0 oz 0 min
centennial 1.5 oz 0 min
amarillo 1.5 oz 0 min

OG 1.110
FG 1.008

Wyeast 1056 x3 (no starter)
Mash rest temp 149 for 90 minutes

pretty simple recipe. Took a few bottles to my last home brew club meeting and it went over very well...I would say its some where between Sierra nevada Big foot and Rogue Old Crusty...

thanks for sharing

i believe he said he pours right from the faucet into still wet sanitized bottles and experiences very minimal foaming. i use a bowie bottler, which has been just awesome.

Did you really get 93% attenuation on that huge grain bill with 2.25 lbs of crystal?? 13.6% abv?

Back