BarleyWine made with Trappist Yeast(3787)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpawlak2000

Reaction score
Anyone ever use Wyeast Trappist 3787 to make a barley wine? This is my 1st attempt--check out my formulation below. Any coments would be great--thx. I use beersmith to help desighn this--should be about 10.5%ABV with about 110IBUs and a color of 14SRM.

I've already brewed this up and the samples tast great at two weeks, but I know I have to lay this down to age so I was just wondeing how you might think this yeast will work with these ingredients.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
16.36 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 84.16 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.71 %
1.00 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 5.14 %
1.00 oz Citra [12.30 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.70 oz Chinook [11.80 %] (90 min) Hops 30.7 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.05 oz Citra [12.30 %] (30 min) Hops 34.5 IBU
0.35 oz Glacier [6.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
0.87 oz Centennial [9.20 %] (30 min) Hops 21.5 IBU
0.70 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
0.70 oz Citra [12.30 %] (15 min) Hops 14.8 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
0.58 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 2.98 %
1 Pkgs Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) Yeast-Wheat

Brew Details:

Maxed out 8 gal mash tun with all 18.86lb of grain and 5 gal of water. 1st runnings @ 90 min were about 2.75 gal at 1.066 SG. For second runnings add 158F water to mash tun and let mash again for 45min @ 154F. 2nd runnings were about 2.75 gal at 1.040 SG. Sparged with 2.5 gal @ 170 F. Starting gravity preboil (total volume 7.75 gal) was 1.048 SG. To hit a fermenting SG of 1.100, boil time is about 4h to a total volume of 4.0 gal. After wort is cooled there is about 3.8 gal in the fermenter.

At yeast pitch, airate for 60 sec with pure O2--added yeast energizer and neutreiant 1tsp/gal. Airated wort 60h after pitching yeast. SG measured at 60h was 1.030.

Once fermented, beer is filtered useing a coarse filter, and slow carbonated in the keg for four weeks, then bottled useing a beer gun.

A Belgian barley wine? Interesting. If you say it tastes good, it seems the ingredients and the yeast go well together. Congrats on making a tasty, big beer!

I know, crazy style crossover ;-) But really, as hard as it may be to believe you can't find anything on this combo if you type in barley wine and trappist yeast into google, so here I am.

Thanks, after reading the yeasts flavor profile I thought it would complement the sweetness of a BW and be able to get it to 1.020FG that I wanted, but this is my 1st time useing this yeast. Wish I could say it was original, but I believe the guys at Stone Brewery use some type of Belgian yeast in their barley wine too??? I guess, my question is more of what are peoples experience with this yeast and what styles have they used it in--other then the obvious trappist ales? I've poked around this forum and find the usual pairings of grain and yeast and was hopeing to see if anyone else has tried a simmilar brew.

I used it in an english barleywine last year and plan to do it again this weekend. If my rochefort harvested yeast would take off, I plan on using both on it this time. I think it works really well.

So the Belgian's and the English do play nice ;-) Just wondering dcp27, when did you think the beer hit its peak, or is it still getting there? Also, how was your attenuation with trappist yeast? thx for the feedback! BTW: Are you willing to share the recipe for your barleywine?

It's hard to say when it hit its peak. I split the batch on 4 different yeasts (belgian, american, scottish, Brett) so each was kinda limited in supply unfortunately, but I wanted to know which was best to use. I haven't tried the belgian one since November (8 months old), but I tried an american one last month (1 yr) and its still improving. I will be having a belgian one this weekend tho so I'll let you know.

I got about 78% attenuation (112 to 25) out of it without any sugar mashing around 150F. I'm changing the recipe a little bit this year, but this is pretty much the old one
68% Marris Otter
22% Vienna
3% Aromatic
7% Crystal malt (mix of C80, honey malt, & special B)
Nugget, willamette, goldings mix @FWH to 75IBUs
1oz mix@ Flameout
2.5oz mix@ dry hop
Boiled 2.5 hours, primary 2 weeks @70F, secondary 3.5 months

Thanks for the info. I look forward to hearing how the Belgian is ageing. As an FYI: it looks like I've hit about 77% attenuation(1.101-->1.022). Seems like fermentation has stopped--no bubbles after three days and SG of 1.022 and stable(close to expected). It's only taken a week to hit these numbers! I've made "real" wines(diff yeast of coarse) at these OGs, and they've taken 3+ weeks to ferment out. This Belgian yeast seems to be hungry.

Sounds like the 3787 I know and love!

BTW, forgot to mention, two commercial barleywines that use a belgian yeast are Pretty Things Our Finest Regards (along with a British one) and Stone's Old Gaurdian (on odd years). Both are probably pretty limited at this point (esp the Pretty Things), but you could look for those if you want commercial examples.

Thx, its good to know this is typical for 3787. I figured it would be a bit slower with the high OG, then the high ABV. My temps were held constant at 66F--temp controlled fridge. Thanks for the examples of Belgian Barley wines--never had the Pretty Things. But, Old Guardian 2011 is what inspired me to make this one. I have a bottle in the fridge :) I didn't know they switch yeast strains on alternating years for their BWs? Guess I should read the bottle more instead of tipping it back ;-) I've been out to Stone last year--I was living in AZ. Got to say, Stone has some great beer and food!

Beer came out great! Now about 6 months old its comming into its own. Whish I could have made more. Maybe up size to a 15 gal mash tun next time. People say it has a mango taste in the background. Maybe from all the citra hops? I would recommend straining the wort prior to going into primary. FYI: i coarse filtered the beer at two months and botteled--it's perfectly clear. It has a nice yellow/red hew to it with a white head. Its a bit strong at close to 12abv but so plesently drinkable :) There was very little Belgium character from the yeast which was fine-- frm temp was at 66--68F primary and secondary.

Back