Barley Wine Fermentation Temp Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srob18

Reaction score
I recently brewed a barley wine coming in at 1.1 SG and pitched 3 packs of US-05 to make up for my lack of a big Yeast starter. For the first day and a half every thing was going great. I pitched the yeast at about 70 degrees. Well, today I'm pretty sure it is in the 80s. My question is since this is such a big beer and it's been fermenting so powerfully all ready(started with a rumbling blow off tube, still going along with about a 3 inch Krausen) should I worry about off flavors?

I know this is a forgiving yeasts but id hate to ruin the beer already. Any suggestions or previous experiences with this would help!

At that temp your going to start getting fruity esters. It's not going to ruin your beer but its not going to be the best it can be, thats all. if you can try to get it somewhere cooler like a basement. US 05 does its best around 65 degrees. Unfortunately, unless you have a temp controlled fermentation chamber, this is a common problem among home brewers.

Yikes. Even the most forgiving ale yeasts are going to throw some serious off flavors, mainly alcohol fusels, unless it's a saison strain.
Do yourself a favor and get temperature control as soon as possible. Although this batch is probably going to have a very strong alcohol bite.
You should have pitched at around 62 and kept in it a "swamp bath." And it would have stayed under 70.
Big beers are even worse when it comes to these issues

Hmmm maybe I'll try transferring it to a cold baths or a while and hopefully it will go down. I've seen my beers go up pretty high but this is a easily the highest I've see. Probably 10+ degree climb

the first 48hours are the most critical. after that time the next 12 hours will effect flavor but not not nearly as much. after the first 2 1/2 days temperature will have almost no effect on flavor. each batch will have different lag times and attenuative times so you still might be ok.

after 3 days (another day from now) I would raise the temperature back to 80deg and leave it there until finished. you can't rush barlywine if it doesn't taste right leave it in there. (under sanitary conditions barlywine will last months in a fermenter.) this will help the yeast eat some of the compounds causing the off flavors. I raised my barleywine to 79deg after 3 days and it turned out great. this is recommended by the book "yeast"

the first 48hours are the most critical. after that time the next 12 hours will effect flavor but not not nearly as much. after the first 2 1/2 days temperature will have almost no effect on flavor. each batch will have different lag times and attenuative times so you still might be ok.

after 3 days (another day from now) I would raise the temperature back to 80deg and leave it there until finished. you can't rush barlywine if it doesn't taste right leave it in there. (under sanitary conditions barlywine will last months in a fermenter.) this will help the yeast eat some of the compounds causing the off flavors. I raised my barleywine to 79deg after 3 days and it turned out great. this is recommended by the book "yeast"

Thanks, this was all helpful info. I've got it in a Cool bath right now, the temp is now in the upper 70s but dropping. I will try to keep it as low as possible then tomorrow take it out and I think it should be good

Back