Barley wine AG question-Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyrangers955

Reaction score
Bare with me..Im new to all grain brewing and have only done a few all grain batches.

Im tryin to brew my first barley wine. I noticed on the receipe that they want to heat the mash tun after a 90 minute mash. Im using a 10 gallon cooler and cant heat it. Its this necessary or is there a way around this step?

see below:

Mashing

In a 10-gallon brew kettle, combine the crushed malts with 7 gallons plus 1 cup of 161°F water. The water should cool slightly when mixed with the grain. Cover and hold the mash at 148°F for 90 minutes.

Set the brew kettle of mash on top and heat to 160°F, stirring frequently to avoid scorching. Turn off the heat. The mash will continue to increase in temperature to about 165°F.

That's a "mash out" step. You don't have to do that, especially if you're batch sparging.

If you're fly (continous) sparging, a mash out is commonly done with a hot water infusion.

Back