Barley & Me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyhound

Reaction score
So SWMBO and I came home last night from a Superbowl party to find a pound of crystal malt strewn all over dining room. One look at my Greyhound's face told me who the culprit was. Not only did he have that look of guilt and shame, but he also still had "evidence" stuck to his muzzle.

It never occurred to me to lock up the barley before leaving the house, but I guess I've learned a lesson. Is this normal? Do all dogs like barley, or is my dog just a beer-hound?

Boss Bailey (my male greyhound) eats barley, but Katie (my female) won't. Neither of them likes beer.

Both of my bulldogs love the spent stuff. They leave little biscuits all around the yard the day after. And they both love beer, too.

Both my golden retriever and Irish setter love barley like crazy. Only the golden likes beer though.

My yellow lab will lick up barley grain that spills on the floor but she just spits them out.

Slightly :off:

Be "uber" careful with the hops and dogs around as they can be extremely poisonous to dogs. To the point of being fatal.

Edit: This will likely set off a $hit storm of debate, flaming, etc.. bottom line is hops CAN be bad for dogs and there is documented cases. I hear its more of a problem with certain breeds, smaller dogs, etc. But if you can avoid the hop + dog scenario, I say its to your dog's advantage. Not trying to incite hysteria, just thought i would bring it up since we were talking about brewing ingredients and dogs...

Meh, I think its overblown hysteria fueled by people pissing hop fueled half truths and relating poorly documented "news" items. One dog dies from some fantastically unusual hop allergy and it grows into an epidemic of canine genocide.

My dog loves it. First time I brewed I just tossed the spent grain around the yard. My dog spent a good amount of time eating it out of the lawn. idiot. Now I give him a few handfuls, and throw the rest on the other side of the fence.

my dog barfed huge balls of spent barley all over the house that looked like they had been made with an ice cream scooper

next project: fence around compost pile

my dog barfed huge balls of spent barley all over the house that looked like they had been made with an ice cream scooper

next project: fence around compost pile

LOL I have wondered about my dog and my grain pile. It must have at least 200 lbs worth of spent grains in it. And this is only three months worth of grains. My dog ignores the pile. By the Summer it will be 350 lbs or more. If my Red Dog discovers that he likes grain he will have a feast of epic proportions.

(But I sprinkle hops liberally on top of it so that if he does eat it he will regret it. ;) )

I made a batch of dog biscuits with spent grains after my last batch & my dog loves 'em! She's an 11 y/o lab & she dances like a puppy for these things. I also made a batch of cookies for myself using the grains, those were delicious. :)

I made a batch of dog biscuits with spent grains after my last batch & my dog loves 'em! She's an 11 y/o lab & she dances like a puppy for these things. I also made a batch of cookies for myself using the grains, those were delicious. :)

Good idea. Next time I'll same some spent grains for the grainhound.

MNBugeater - The hop & dog thing has been done: it is NOT a problem. I have greyhounds, I've done the research.

Another Internet rumor that will not die. Please do not perpetuate it.

Maybe your dog is just passive aggressive. Normally my Airedale has perfect manners, but if I go away and leave her in the house, I can count on coming home to find everything strewn everywhere. If she can get to it, it will be scattered!

Back