Barley Grains With A Husk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingWisdom

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Brewers
Last night I went to my nearby small grain store and mill and bought some wheat and barley grains.But the barley grains came with a husk.
After some online research I found out that husks are actually good for brewing because they help the wort to filter through the mash.
But the question with a husk on can we germinate the barley seed and the water can get inside easily during steeping stage?
Below is the attached pic of barley grains with a husk.

Attachments

• 20220316_045223.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 11
we've become aquainted....

yeah, the husk is a good thing, even for checking when the acrospire starts popping out of it..and definetly for sparging....

Hello Fellow Brewers
Last night I went to my nearby small grain store and mill and bought some wheat and barley grains.But the barley grains came with a husk.
After some online research I found out that husks are actually good for brewing because they help the wort to filter through the mash.
But the question with a husk on can we germinate the barley seed and the water can get inside easily during steeping stage?
Below is the attached pic of barley grains with a husk.

For the starches in the grains to become sugars needed for fermentation they need to be "malted" by beginning the sprouting process and then stopping it at the correct time. If you have no malted grains in your "mash" you aren't mashing, you are simply making porridge.

Farmers manage to plant and make barley sprout and grow with the husks still on.

Back