Barley Crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjohnson2981

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and just purchased a Barley Crusher.

Upon using it the first time, I noticed a 'tight spot' in it as it crushed. After the first batch I got out my feeler gauges and checked the clearance. One end of the rollers is pretty consistant, however the other end varies from about 0.029" to 0.042" as it goes around. From everything I've read, a difference of 0.005" can be a considerable difference in the crush.

I have e-mailed Barley Crusher twice to no responce. My question is if this is normal? I don't think it is, but like I said, I'm new to all of this.

Could someone who is more experienced fill me in on this?

Thank you!

First off, congratulation son buying one of the most important tools to an AG brewer!

No that is not normal at all. If you loosened and adjusted the gap across the span of the rollers and are sure you tightened them up again so they don't move and you are noticing a defect in the rollers themselves then the unit should be replaced.

There are two screws that need to be loosened in order to use the gap adjustment knob. be sure to loosen both, re-set the gap at .035 at each and then tighten the screws. When complete the gap should roll even across the width.

I have heard they are tough to contact but once you reach them they respond pretty well. I would call them as well. I think we are also both assuming you purchased this new and you can also try going back through the retailer that sold it to you and let them deal with replacing it and getting credit from the manufacturer.

Thanks for the information. I purchased it new from Barley Crusher directly. I haven't even had it a week.

Of the two rollers, the drive roller is worse, but I believe the secondary roller is off center a bit too.

Thank you for the confirmation on what to expect. I am very mechanically inclined, so I knew it realy shouldn't be off center, however I didn't know what to expect as far as precision in this case.

Thanks again for the input!

Please let us know how you even up making contact and the end result. I also just bought one from them and was shipped the other day. I hope it is in good shape when it arrives.

Sounds like the crush rollers are out of round
6.jpg
33.jpg
8.jpg
10.jpg
9.jpg
34.jpg
a32.jpg

Sounds like the crush rollers are out of round
6.jpg
33.jpg
8.jpg
10.jpg
9.jpg
34.jpg
a32.jpg

I think the non-drive side of the primary roller was drilled off center by about 0.005". Not much, but enough to make a difference. They took care of it just fine. No complaints here.

Back