Barley Crusher not spinning true

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capn_James

Reaction score
I have had my BC for about 8 years now and just noticed that the rollers do not spin true. It's more of an elliptical roll. This is happening with both rollers. It still grabs grain, just wondering if this is a common occorunce. The gap does not stay consistant at all. Anyone have the same issues? Possible solution?

This would explain my efficiency always swinging.

Isn't that a built-in feature to prevent milling too tightly and stuck sparges later on? :drunk:

Seriously, as long as the rollers still turn and mill your grain, consider yourself a lucky brewer! See the other BC threads for reference.

[...] I didn't find anything on the rollers spinning off though.

Yeah, that's a new one to me too! Maybe to prevent a stuck crush?

But if the average gap is about right, and it still crushes well, why change a winning team? 8 years of good use proves something. Perhaps crush twice, like many do.

Do you think I have some bushing slop? The adjustable roller screws are tight and the drive roller screws are tight. The drive screws are only 1/8" or so.

It looks like it is just the drive roller looking at it closer. I don't think I would have ever noticed if I hadn't hooked up a drill. Maybe its time to bute the bullet and pick up a JSP before he stops making them.

maybe check the bronze bushings to see if they have worn out? It very likely after that much use. You may be able to get replacements at the hardware store.
There is another thread where the rollers not spinning true came up but I dont rememebr if there was an issue or just manufacturing tolerance issues..

I believe just about any other grain mill will have ball bearings to prevent this... I know the cereal killer and chinese clone mills do.

maybe check the bronze bushings to see if they have worn out? It very likely after that much use. You may be able to get replacements at the hardware store.
There is another thread where the rollers not spinning true came up but I dont rememebr if there was an issue or just manufacturing tolerance issues..

I believe just about any other grain mill will have ball bearings to prevent this... I know the cereal killer and chinese clone mills do.

The bushings don't look the best... I have looked at the knock offs, I like the ball bearings. The kegco 3 roller won't be in stock until the end of the month supposedly. I will probably pick up one of those.

Latest posts

Back