Barley Crusher Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alooper86

Reaction score
I have a barley Crusher Grain mill and use a cordless dewalt drill to power it. The issue I am running into is that the spindle for the mill is smooth and the drill tends to slip during the milking process even though the drill is is fully locked. Just seeing if anyone has a remedy for this. I was contemplating taking a metal file to the spindle to give the drill something to grab onto. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Cordless drill, keyless chuck, right? It's difficult to get the chuck to grab a smooth spindle tight enough to hold that kind of torque. Your idea of filing flats on the spindle is probably the best idea.

I did the exact same thing to mine. Took a large mill file and worked 3 flat edges onto the spindle. Haven't had any issues of the drill slipping now.

Thanks for all of the feedback thus far. I will grind some flat spots onto the spindle

Back