Barley Chili

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyrmwood

Reaction score
I wasn't quite sure where to post this...

but, I have been making chili for a few years now, and been brewing my own beer for almost a year, and it finally dawned on me... why don't I use some of my specialty grains left over from a brew in my chili? I know the grains will be somewhat spent, so will mostly add thickness without a whole lot of flavor... so here's what I'm thinking..

My next brew is a braggot, and I have a pound of honey malt to steep for the brew... so here's what it will look like

roast about a dozen dried chili peppers, brown about 3 lbs of cubed round steak (deer venison), add 1 lb fresh hatch chilis garlic, cumin, about a cup of masa and the left over grains...

What do you think?

sounds interesting. I like the use of the Venison.

Here is something to try, take your steeped grains and do a little bitty mini-mash with some chicken stock. Add the stock to the pot then thicken with the masa only.
Both grains and masa might result in more of a porridge than a chili.

sounds interesting. I like the use of the Venison.

Here is something to try, take your steeped grains and do a little bitty mini-mash with some chicken stock. Add the stock to the pot then thicken with the masa only.
Both grains and masa might result in more of a porridge than a chili.

good point. I think I will leave the masa out of the first one or at least wait and add toward the end to taste.

I actually have the remainder of a roast chicken saved back for soup in the freezer. *rubs chin*

Thanks!

Back