Bargain fittings pickup tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmancuso

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has experience with their side pickup tube. I just want to know if it sits close enough to the kettle wall to stuff a stainless scrubby there without worrying about it coming loose. And also if the blichmann hop blocker works with the side pickup.
Thanks, James

Here is a picture of mine (on the right side of the picture, the left is my whirlpool, also from bargainfittings). You can see it comes about 1/2 way up the "slanted" part of the bottom of the keg. With an elbow like I have for the whirlpool, you could bring it closer to the wall, if you wanted. So far so good with this setup though.

From the top

N3TUwl.jpg

Close up

PlEqLl.jpg

My side pickup tube sits perfectly along the side wall of my 20G Megapot. It's not rigidly in place, though, so I am not sure you can stuff something under/against it and expect to to stay in place.

I have a side p/u tube in my boil kettle from BargainFittings that is much longer then gungadin's. Mine reaches the side of the kettle right where the straight side meets the first angle for the bottom of the pot. Works extremely well and I can put a scrubby on it, no problems. i also have mine connected with the o-ring set up (not rigid) to be able to clean everything well.
Tom

What are the benefits of side vs. center pickup tube? Les trub / gunk on the side than the middle?

The theory is that when you use an immersion chiller and or whirpool the wort the heavier fluids stay in the center because it takes more to spin them, the thinner (less trub) wort stays to the outside of the kettle because it is moving faster. When you pickup from the side u get the thinner wort and leave most of the trub.

I dont whirlpool, but I do use an immersion chiller and a side pickup, it works fairly well to keep the trub in the center of the keggle.

I have a side p/u tube in my boil kettle from BargainFittings that is much longer then gungadin's. Mine reaches the side of the kettle right where the straight side meets the first angle for the bottom of the pot. Works extremely well and I can put a scrubby on it, no problems. i also have mine connected with the o-ring set up (not rigid) to be able to clean everything well.
Tom

What size kettle do you have? If it doesn't reach all the way to the wall can you turn it downward so you can trap the scrubby against either the bottom of the pot or between the wall and bottom?

Back