Banjo Burner vs. Jet Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshua903

Reaction score
I'm trying to make decision on a new burner and hope someone can give me some insight as to which one would be the better choice. The two burners that I'm looking at offer the same amount of BTU's of 185,000 and are the same price. One is a banjo burner with a wind screen and the other is a jet burner. The banjo burner runs on a 10 psi regulator and the jet burner runs on a 20 psi regulator. I want to be able to boil faster but also without burning through a ton of propane at the same same. If anyone has some helpful advice it would be very much appreciated.

The 185k BTU are the same, so if they distribute the heat the same, your wort will reach boil at the same time. You can check their efficiency rating and see if one is more efficient. The psi regulator difference isn't necessarily an indicator of efficiency.

That said, the jet burner will probably distribute heat better due to the multiple jets, and may use more gas, but overall be more efficient due to better distribution. I'm sure someone has done side by side real world tests on boil time vs gas, etc.

It's interesting that the Blichmann BG-14 "big banjo" Floor Burner is only rated for around 75K BTU on a 10psi regulator...

Cheers!

Back