Banjo Burner vs 10 Jet Burner for NG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksparkes

Reaction score
I have been trying to decide to get a Banjo or go ahead and get a 10 jet and make my own stand for running off natural gas. Would the 10 jet be over kill for brewing 5 gallon batches? Also I have read where some are saying the converted Banjo can be under powered. Thanks for any info on this.

I'd use a banjo with a 40 psi regulator. It's the setup I have with my BIAB rig and it's a blast furnace. Inexpensive and better heating vs. a similar type jet burner. Somewhere, there's a vid on youtube that compares banjos vs. jets for heating 10 gallons and the banjos were approx. 15% faster at hitting strike and boil temperatures.

You won't be running NG at 40 PSI.
I don't have an answer for you, but thought I should point out the obvious.

Yeah, most I have seen are just hose hooked straight from the gas stub to the burner. Now I'm just trying to determine if the 10 tip is usable for 5 gallon batches or if there wouldn't be enough adjustment.

I have the Banjo burners on propane. They are almost completely silent, and they have air adjustments. Two of them shipped to my house was about $100. That's the good part.
They are very sensitive to wind, and I brew outside. I will need to add wind screens.
Also, they have a lot of flame and heat that rolls out from under the kettles. I will need to play with the distance from the kettles, and hopefully the wind screens will help focus the heat to the center.

I don't have jet burners, but they look like they direct the heat a lot more focused than the Banjo's.
They have set air mixtures, so that's either great, or not so great... don't know.
As far as overkill... I don't believe there is such a thing as overkill. More is always better. My bottom line was, which are quieter.

Back