bang for my buc kettle opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would find a half keg on Craigslist for less than $50 and make a keggel. Look into the legal aspects of this though. Never use a keg from a brewery other than a conglomerate company because the keg deposit is less than what it is worth.

There are probably a lot of people in these forums who are against this practice.

I bought that exact kettle 18months ago, but for stovetop brewing with 5 gal batches. Over 100 batches later, and its still going strong

I got the ball lock valve and thermometer attachments added and they were worth every penny

There are probably a lot of people in these forums who are against this practice.

A: I'm really looking for something that Doesn't require anf fabrication. Really just want a ready to go option.
B: why would people be against this?
C: love your username. Im a big TP fan

I bought that exact kettle 18months ago, but for stovetop brewing with 5 gal batches. Over 100 batches later, and its still going strong

I got the ball lock valve and thermometer attachments added and they were worth every penny

Wow so you brew quit a bit huh?
Are you the one that left the sole review on the site?

ummm.....nope. For a second though, I thought I really might have. But really, it is a solidly built pot and works great. My favorite thing is that 5gal paint strainer bags fit perfectly around the top. I just use the elastic at the top of the bag to secure it and dont need anything else to hold it in place for BIAB

and yeah, I brew waaaay too much for my own good. Im constantly trying to make new friends just to unload my beer and have an excuse to make more

I have the 1 weld option and it has held up well. You really don't need a second port if you are just going to boil in it.

As for the kegs, people are against stealing them. It unfortunately is common of people to put a security deposit down and then just never take the keg back. Most of them you find online are stolen that way.

I have a very similar pot. The riveted handles will flex and eventually break if you move it around a lot. Mine was not magnetic so induction cooking was a no with it as well. No telling if that's true of this pot or not. Easiest way is to try and stick a magnet to it and see. Mine was also pretty thin and easy to ding, fyi. In addition the thin bottom tended to scorch when using propane.

I eventually moved this inside, insulated it, chopped some holes and now its an electric kettle that never really moves at all. So the handles are fairly unimportant, as is the thinner bottom. Works great, ymmv...

I have the 1 weld option and it has held up well. You really don't need a second port if you are just going to boil in it.

As for the kegs, people are against stealing them. It unfortunately is common of people to put a security deposit down and then just never take the keg back. Most of them you find online are stolen that way.

I see. I guess that makes sense. I may still get the two port option because I can see myself eventually switching to all greain brewing. Probably next summer if im not deployed.

A: I'm really looking for something that Doesn't require anf fabrication. Really just want a ready to go option.
B: why would people be against this?

Yes fabrication is needed for a keggel, and they are much heavier. I think I payed $50 for mine including the installed ball valve, so as a poor man I'm happy with it.
People are against it because the deposit on a keg is less than what it is worth, so prices will be driven up for smaller breweries at least. Plus it's not legal.
My given name is Thomas Paine. I wouldn't use it as my user name if it wasn't a famous name though.

and yeah, I brew waaaay too much for my own good. Im constantly trying to make new friends just to unload my beer and have an excuse to make more

Well I'm always willing to help....let me know if you need my mailing address! ;)

C: love your username. Im a big TP fan[/QUOTE]

Thanks, my given name is Thomas Paine, so I thought it a fitting user name for this forum, because we are all revolutionaries here.

And yes, stealing kegs is bad. But it's not hard to gain legal possession of them.

Thanks, my given name is Thomas Paine, so I thought it a fitting user name for this forum, because we are all revolutionaries here.

And yes, stealing kegs is bad. But it's not hard to gain legal possession of them.[/QUOTE]

Nobody said it was hard, but it is expensive. The $50 ones you see on craigslist are almost certainly stolen. A new one is usually $125-$150 + shipping.

Latest posts

Back