Bands you should like, but don't.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never could figure out Nirvana. To this day I still think Poison said it best, working hard and appreciating some down time. From what I heard on the radio Nirvana was extremely excellent from a technical point of view, but I just couldn't get into that kind of whining after working myself to the bone every week.

John Mellencamp
Bob Segar
Lynrd Skynrd
Bruce Springsteen
Boston

Yeah, I know, classic rock, but I would dis-locate a shoulder to change the channel. The only rock station we can pick up at work has them on steady rotation.....EVERY hour. They also throw in Pat Benatar, REO Speedwagon and Styx to let you "Rock out with the Hard stuff" But they don't fit the whole "bands you should like" thing. Yes, I work in radio hell, either that, or the local program director gets kick backs from Sirius.

Come on Rush haters......Really......Best band ever

So which popular bands from the 90s on were worth adoring?
Afghan Whigs
Catherine Wheel
Radiohead
Brad
Ministry
PJ Harvey
Built to Spill
Not to mention the more well known
Tool
Soundgarden
Early Pearl Jam
Since then:
Interpol
Bloc Party
Silversun Pickups
The Mars Volta
Mastodon
Muse
Baroness

Never could figure out Nirvana. To this day I still think Poison said it best, working hard and appreciating some down time. From what I heard on the radio Nirvana was extremely excellent from a technical point of view, but I just couldn't get into that kind of whining after working myself to the bone every week.

Nirvana was nowhere near excellent techincally. Kurt wrote some catchy pop songs couched in the label of "Alternative". Technical is left to Soundgarden and Tool.

What was the reason?

I didn't mean you personally :tank:, just that attitude of "I don't like the music but I like the scene". Starting around 1999-2000 there where alot of kids going to the shows that were not interested in the music but more of the "scene". A lot of crime and heavy drugs (opiates) were more prevelant that the "vibe" phish was striving to create. Which, I see is totally hipocritical seeing Trey was using himself...I don't know...maybe I am just bitter that when they returned from their first "hiatus" they have never clicked like they did before.

John Mellencamp
Bob Segar
Lynrd Skynrd
Bruce Springsteen

Boston

Yeah, I know, classic rock, but I would dis-locate a shoulder to change the channel. The only rock station we can pick up at work has them on steady rotation.....EVERY hour. They also throw in Pat Benatar, REO Speedwagon and Styx to let you "Rock out with the Hard stuff" But they don't fit the whole "bands you should like" thing. Yes, I work in radio hell, either that, or the local program director gets kick backs from Sirius.

Come on Rush haters......Really......Best band ever

ROFLMAO!!! :ban:

Boston wasn't a "bad" band, I think they would have been worse without Brad Delp. I think Boston suffered from the TMFAT (too much f'ing air time) malady.

Bob Seger, however, yeah I'll give you a +1000000 on that guy. He and Springsteen to me, sound like Dylan on a better day. Gravely voice, singing about "guy stuff" (strippers, one night stands, hitting the open road, etc.) and it's some boring tedious stuff right there. Maybe Springsteen writes some good songs, but I just cannot stand the guy as a performer.

Classic rock radio has been a wasteland for the better part of the last 20 years. In fact, most of the clearchannel stations these days seem to be the same 200 songs shuffled in with 1 or 2 "album" cuts from the same artists (Yes is a good example of this, how many f'ing times do I have to hear "Owner of a Lonely Heart" before they'll play "Starship Trooper")

Anyway, I'm a music nerd and could rant (and rave) about it all day.

Dream Theater. As a musician I should love these guys. They certainly have chops, but no soul. It's like listening to a perfectly handcrafted Swiss watch's ticking piped through an amp and the volume turned up to 11. Plus any song over 30 minutes is just musical masturbation.

Gravely voice, singing about "guy stuff" (strippers, one night stands, hitting the open road, etc.) and it's some boring tedious stuff right there

All that crap is a big bummer for me and puts a heck of a lot of American bands that I could have liked on my **** list. The only one that gets away with it for me is George Thorogood.

After driving home last night, I have to add The White Stripes/Racontouers/anything else Jack White gets his mitts on. First, that ALL sound the same, and second, they're just NOT that good! But yet my fave station plays them constantly!

Funny, I love Hendrix, and while I admire the hell out of Satriani's chops (I mean, holy cow can that guy play), his music doesn't really move me.

I love Satch, I remember when Surfing with the Alien came out, friggin' blew me away. Started my love for great guitar playing.

I dislike bands that in my opinion are drastically overrated. Those that top the list.

Nirvana
Kiss
Aerosmith

I don't mind some of their songs but you would think they invented the eletric guitar the way people go on about them.

I didn't mean you personally :tank:, just that attitude of "I don't like the music but I like the scene". Starting around 1999-2000 there where alot of kids going to the shows that were not interested in the music but more of the "scene". A lot of crime and heavy drugs (opiates) were more prevelant that the "vibe" phish was striving to create. Which, I see is totally hipocritical seeing Trey was using himself...I don't know...maybe I am just bitter that when they returned from their first "hiatus" they have never clicked like they did before.

No offense taken. :mug:

I can totally see people being more into the scene than the show. The parking lot was full of kids with an excuse to get high. The venue didn't fit that many people but they had every square inch of real estate packed with vehicles.

Ignorance is bliss for me - I didn't have anything to compare them to and my expectations were exceptionally low. I was really blown away by the show itself. I can't explain it anymore than it felt like they were using their instruments to play the audience. The band manipulated the energy in the venue. Just when I thought a solo couldn't get any better the lights would illuminate the crowd and the solo would skyrocket to the next level. I have never seen a crowd so into a band.

I think part of the reason I can't get into the music is because listening to a studio album is NOTHING like the experience of seeing it live. I have a recording of the show I went to; but when I listen to it my mind takes me back to that night. Ya dig?

No offense taken. :mug:

I can totally see people being more into the scene than the show. The parking lot was full of kids with an excuse to get high. The venue didn't fit that many people but they had every square inch of real estate packed with vehicles.

Ignorance is bliss for me - I didn't have anything to compare them to and my expectations were exceptionally low. I was really blown away by the show itself. I can't explain it anymore than it felt like they were using their instruments to play the audience. The band manipulated the energy in the venue. Just when I thought a solo couldn't get any better the lights would illuminate the crowd and the solo would skyrocket to the next level. I have never seen a crowd so into a band.

I think part of the reason I can't get into the music is because listening to a studio album is NOTHING like the experience of seeing it live. I have a recording of the show I went to; but when I listen to it my mind takes me back to that night. Ya dig?

Gotcha...:rockin:...and you have seen first hand what I was talking about.

Nirvana was nowhere near excellent techincally. Kurt wrote some catchy pop songs couched in the label of "Alternative". Technical is left to Soundgarden and Tool.

There's an understatement!

I love Nirvana, they really hit a chord (so to speak) with me and countless other kids who were just at the right age when they hit it big. They were kind of like Sex Pistols in a way, if you wanted to be in a band it was inspirational because these dudes couldn't play AT ALL and they were successful. Well, Grohl was a great drummer, but Cobain was a terrible guitarist and Novoselic's bass playing was worse. Technically, I mean.

Cobain's genius, such as it was, was melding these very intense frustrations, these feelings of isolation and rage and everything that every teenager feels to some extend, but putting them in the context of very catchy melodies that were buried under layers of noise.

But, listen to the lyrics again with fifteen or twenty years' perspective... they don't hold up. But, that's true for 98% of rock lyrics, and when you're sixteen or seventeen or eighteen... they feel about as true and honest as it gets.

Cobain had demons that ran a lot deeper than his guitar could dig out.

Nicely put, bird. While they struck a chord with you, they didn't with me. I'm not one to dwell on lyrics. I primarily listen to the way the music sounds. There are countless songs that I don't understand or care to understand, but I love the sound. That's not to say that I never listen to the lyrics, but they aren't nearly as important to me as the underlying music. Nirvana was audio mud.

See, I really like a lot of "audio mud," as long as there's some melody buried under it. Besides Nirvana, one of my favorite bands from back in the day was Dinosaur Jr. J Mascis was a master of putting together some wonderful melodies, but burying them under layers and layers of noise and feedback and distortion.

So much of this music is pretentious as ****, but that's true of most rock anyway.

Pavement's a band of the same basic vintage that I've gotten into recently (knew about them, but never really listened to them back when I was younger). Same kind of deal, although I think they hold up a little better over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely put, bird. While they struck a chord with you, they didn't with me. I'm not one to dwell on lyrics. I primarily listen to the way the music sounds. There are countless songs that I don't understand or care to understand, but I love the sound. That's not to say that I never listen to the lyrics, but they aren't nearly as important to me as the underlying music. Nirvana was audio mud.

I too could not care less about words. I do care about the singer as an instrument, but what gets me going is the arrangement.

See, I really like a lot of "audio mud," as long as there's some melody buried under it. Besides Nirvana, one of my favorite bands from back in the day was Dinosaur Jr. J Mascis was a master of putting together some wonderful melodies, but burying them under layers and layers of noise and feedback and distortion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XBIfOFtmmM

So much of this music is pretentious as ****, but that's true of most rock anyway.

Pavement's a band of the same basic vintage that I've gotten into recently (knew about them, but never really listened to them back when I was younger). Same kind of deal, although I think they hold up a little better over the years.

No mud is thicker that that presented by the one & only J Mascis. But I loves it.

For plain old noise we'll have to give it up for Sonic Youth.

Cobain had demons that ran a lot deeper than his guitar could dig out.

Cobain had demons.. ya.. THAT is an understatement. His lyrics made no sense, which is probably a very good look into what was going on in his head. The dude lived like garbage, a true dirtball, married a crackwhore, and raped a 'tard. Ya.. sounds like a winner. I don't remember thinking that in HS, but if you related to it... well good for you. Angry kids will idolize anyone that says "F-you" to ..well pretty much anyone.

Add Nirvana to my list. Thanks for reminding me how much I think they suck. (well not they, just cobain. grohl is good and who they hell knows the name of or cares about their bassist besides having a good laugh over smashing himself in the head with his bass)

I know I should like King Crimson since I actually am a prog rock fan (was in a Rush tribute band for a while, can produce nail on chalkboard sounds). I love the idea of King Crimson, but I still can't listen to them without cringing. Not that they are horrible, they just sound bland and overly polished to me.

I also know I should like Johnny Cash, but I just can't... Kidding, there's a Cash song for every occasion in my book.

Paul Simon - I know he's wrote some great songs, but he just irritates me, his I'm better then everyone else type attitude. I think Jackson Browne is very similar, and I think he kicks a$$!

Paul Simon - I know he's wrote some great songs, but he just irritates me, his I'm better then everyone else type attitude. I think Jackson Browne is very similar, and I think he kicks a$$!

this somehow seemed appropriate.

garfunkle.gif

Cobain had demons.. ya.. THAT is an understatement. His lyrics made no sense, which is probably a very good look into what was going on in his head. The dude lived like garbage, a true dirtball, married a crackwhore, and raped a 'tard. Ya.. sounds like a winner. I don't remember thinking that in HS, but if you related to it... well good for you. Angry kids will idolize anyone that says "F-you" to ..well pretty much anyone.

Add Nirvana to my list. Thanks for reminding me how much I think they suck. (well not they, just cobain. grohl is good and who they hell knows the name of or cares about their bassist besides having a good laugh over smashing himself in the head with his bass)

Funny you said that; I was listening to NPR and they were interviewing someone I don't know who (ok I was not paying 100% attention, I was driving too) and he was talking about composing musicals and they talked about lyrics. He mentioned some very famous songs (I am not a show tune fan) and composers (Rodgers and Hammerstein/Gilbert and Sullivan??) and said that most of the time the lyrics are meaningless and the words are put together mainly so they rhyme and flow with the music and to sound like they have some deep meaning but in reality they tell no story at all.

(I never like Nirvana either)

This is going to be a bit of delve into metal sub-genres but Converge has an immense following for post-hardcore. I just can't get past the pterodactyl style vocals. Feel free to make fun of me for posting a band completely off the radar.

This is going to be a bit of delve into metal sub-genres but Converge has an immense following for post-hardcore. I just can't get past the pterodactyl style vocals. Feel free to make fun of me for posting a band completely off the radar.

Haha!! He posted about a band completely off the radar!! :D

Ok, I have to say it. I can not stand the Grateful Dead. I should like them because even though I grew up on Punk and Metal, I have always liked a lot of the hippy bands. Hell, half of my friends are old hippys. They just sound like one long boring instrumental. Maybe it is because I don't smoke pot.

The other band that I should like but cannot stand is The Sex Pistols. I grew up listening to punk, but I don't care what anyone says, they are horrible. These guys were put together as a marketing scheme for a clothing company and now everyone thinks they starting punk rock. Definitely not the case

Ok, I have to say it. I can not stand the Grateful Dead. I should like them because even though I grew up on Punk and Metal, I have always liked a lot of the hippy bands. Hell, half of my friends are old hippys. They just sound like one long boring instrumental. Maybe it is because I don't smoke pot.

Stone him!

Stone him!!!

STONE HIM!!!!!!!!

STONE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!

STONE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!

PTN
Sorry, I'm going to see Phil and Bobby next week and I'm a little excited.

Bon Jovi

I can understand why they were a big hit 30 years ago or whatever but how in the world did they not just disappear like bands such as Kansas? Maybe it is because I live in NJ but they seem to be some mega band, I just don't get it. I would have thought John Bon Jovi would have been broke and back living with his parents about now but no he is wealthy beyond explanation and still selling out shows.

Stone him!

Stone him!!!

STONE HIM!!!!!!!!

STONE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!

STONE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!

PTN
Sorry, I'm going to see Phil and Bobby next week and I'm a little excited.

You know, if there was ANY group of individuals that would seem least likely to stone someone to death, it would be Deadheads.

Now, getting him STONED, that's something else entirely.

I'm honestly stumped about what I'm going to do it someone hands me a joint at the show tomorrow. I haven't smoked in 30 years. But it's a Dead show. Sort of.

OK, just to show how far out of the loop I am... I'm just assuming that every other person sparks up as soon as the band starts playing and hands it off. Did I just date myself like Boston?

PTN

This seems like the general consensus of the group.

I know it may be anti american, but I dislike the majority of modern country music. I miss Johnny Cash, old Shooter Jennings, Waylon Jennings, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIwRWltlWUU&feature=related

This seems like the general consensus of the group.

I know it may be anti american, but I dislike the majority of modern country music. I miss Johnny Cash, old Shooter Jennings, Waylon Jennings, etc...

Modern country music is a caricature of what it used to be. I increasingly disliked country music but couldn't put my finger on why until I saw Sugarland give their acceptance speech for some country music award. As a follower of Jennifer Nettles back during her Athens music days I had a question: Since when does Jennifer Nettles have such a pronounced southern accent? I hate that stupid accent. Johnny Cash didn't have it. Willie Nelson and Kenny Rogers just barely had it. Now everyone not only has it, they're going out of their way to make it more extreme. But this thread is about bands you SHOULD like and no one should like the travesty that modern country music has become.

The thing with modern country music, it's just so terribly artificial and fake. I mean, we know that Johnny Cash didn't *really* shoot a man in Reno, but it sure as hell sounded like he did! There's absolutely no truth behind anything that's being sung.

The thing with modern country music, it's just so terribly artificial and fake. I mean, we know that Johnny Cash didn't *really* shoot a man in Reno, but it sure as hell sounded like he did! There's absolutely no truth behind anything that's being sung.

Very true for the most part. I do happen to like Brad Paisley & Josh Turner. They seem to be turning out some pretty genuine music. Paisley is a helluva a musician IMO, great guitar player. But yeah, most of it is fluff.

It sounds like Johnny Cash belligerently disregarded his mother's advice and then realized later what a huge mistake that was. If there are those sorts of layers in "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" I just can't find them. I'm not trying to go all pretentious or claim higher art or any crap like that but I felt like there was depth to Johnny Cash's music beyond what he was singing about. And I kind of like that.

Back