Banana Wine. First Try

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbig

Reaction score
I just decided to try something a bit different, so I did quite a bit of reading and came up with a recipe for banana wine. It's a combination of several recipes, mostly gotten from http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/recipes.asp along with some ideas from here http://www.celebrationgeneration.com/blog/2011/10/13/how-to-make-homemade-banana-wine/. It sounded good to me and is a fairly cheap wine to make, though it is much like a mead and takes some time to age.

Ingredients for my batch are:

9 lbs. ripe bananas
1 lb. Golden Raisins
6 lbs. sugar
1/4 cup each lemon and orange juce
2 cans white grape juice concentrate, thawed
2 1/2 tsp. Acid Blend
2 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
2 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
1/4 tsp. Tannin
2 1/2 gals water
1 pkg. wine yeast (I chose 71B-1122)

Peel the bananas and add them (The bananas) to the primary. Chop the skins into small pieces and put them in a muslin bag. In a pot, boil 1 1/2 gals water, add the muslin bag full of skins, bring back to simmer, not boil, then simmer the skins for 30 minutes.

While that's simmering, mash up the bananas in the primary, chop up the raisins (SOUNDS much easier than it actually is.. lol) and add them, then add the rest of the ingredients except the yeast, pectin enzyme, and sugar, then mix well. With your yeast at room temperature, make a yeast starter of 8 oz warm water, 2 Tbsp. of the sugar and a blob of the banana mixture. Mix and aerate well, then add the yeast and mix well again. The yeast starter isn't a necessity, but it's just something I almost always do with my wine making or brewing.

After the skins have simmered 30 minutes, remove pot from heat, and remove muslin bag and allow to drain. Your water will be a brownish color. Discard skins, then add sugar to hot water and stir until desolved. Add this syrup directly into your primary over your banana mush and mix/aerate well. Add the remaining gallon of cold water, mix well, and by this point, the temperature is generally low enough to add the yeast, but you can let it sit with a lid on it until room temperature first. When you add the yeast, also add the pectin enzyme. This batch made @ 3 1/2 to 4 gallons of wort. I expect heavy yeast activity, and with the thicker wort, I wanted lots of head space for foam, so I used a 7 gallon ferment bucket. I didn't take an O.G. since the liquid is so soupy. I figure the alcohol content will be fairly high, but I'm more concerned with flavor.

I'm shooting for a semi-dry wine. I plan on leaving it in the primary until airlock activity stops, or 2 weeks, whichever comes last, then racking to a secondary. I'll probably let that sit another 2 weeks, then cold crash it for a couple weeks to clear it up, then rack to a final container. I'm thinking of throwing in a couple vanilla beans at this point and let it sit at room temperature for at least a month before bottling and sampling. Most places say it takes a year before it's any good.

I've read several people who use champaign yeasts for this wine, but after my mead experiments with it, I'm trying something a little less aggressive that will leave a bit more flavor. As always, I look forward to any suggestions or comments since I'm still fairly new to brewing.

Tod

Sounds interesting. I would definitely pitch extra yeast though. Bananas are chock full of potassium sorbate, which of course is used commonly in wine making to ensure you kill your yeast and prevent renewed fermentation. They're hard to ferment, but then crazy gassy when they get going.

Thanks for the input. It's been bubbling really well out of the airlock since after the first few hours, (And smells tremendous!) but there is quite a bit of added sugars. None of the other recipes ever mentioned pitching extra? Maybe all this extra sugars get the yeast colony up and over any plateau the potassium sorbate may harm?

You don't have to worry about that. I make banana wine (as do many others) and yeast LOVE bananas. In fact, bananas are often used as a body builder and yeast nutrient in other wines as well. There aren't any issues with bananas.

Thank you, Yooper. I have seen that you'd posted on other banana wine postings and was hoping for your input.

So no issues with bananas in general.. Any advice or comments about the recipe or method in general?

:eek:Wonderful internet, double posting seleted.:eek:

Day 6. Well, call it imaptience.. call it paranoia, but I racked the banana wine to a secondary today. After reading much more on this, I decided I should get the wine off of the fruit to prevent off flavors, so I filtered through a large muslin bag. The banana was just about all gone to mush, broken down by the yeast, but there was a large quantity of what appeared to be whole white grapes floating on top. I think the next time, I'll soak the raisins in warm water to reconstitute a bit to help in the chopping. I obviously didn't do a very good job of it in the dried state.

This batch of wine was one of the most vigorous ferments I've seen. It finally started to slow down last night so I gave it a stir, which picked it back up for a few hours, but was back to its slowed state today. This wine smells very "Beer-ey", along with a hint of the "Rhino farts" I've gotten from apple ciders. I imagine it's because the house has been kept at 70-72 degrees, so a little warm, but that will go away with age/cold crashing. After tasting, it seems to be really dry. No sweetness left at all. I didn't take a hydro test on it, but as stated before, I wanted a semi-dry wine, so I added 2 more pounds of sugar, heated in 2 cups water to 140-145 degrees, cooled with 2 more cups cold water and thrown into the secondary before racking. I also added 2 chopped up Madagascar Bourbon vanilla beans.

Here's to science experiments!:ban::D

Well, you definitely don't want to stir or otherwise aerate the wine at this point, but it's too late now to unstir or to not filter through cloth.

Remember that whatever you add will ferment out, so you won't have a sweet result- you'll have rocket fuel if you keep adding sugar. Many wine yeast strains can go to 18%.

If you want a sweet wine, wait until it's done and then stabilize it and then sweeten it. Otherwise, you're going to have hot rocket fuel (and the aromatics will blow off during continued fermentation) that will take years to age out.

Normally, you add your "stuff" after fermentation ends. I wait until the wine is no longer dropping any lees, and then add oak or a vanilla bean or whatever so that the aromatics don't get covered with yeast and blow out with the co2 coming out of the airlock.

Yeah, the yeast I used says it maxes out at 12-15%, so I was trying to add enough sugar to get it to full fermentation and still have some residual sugar, much like what happens with the rice wine. Many people use Champaigne yeast, which can get to 20% and do talk of making rocket fuel.. and that this banana wine does take some time to age.

And yeah, I thought about waiting on the vanilla addition until it has settled more, but if it adds flavor, great, and if not, that'll be OK also. I wasn't sure if the vanilla beans floated or sank.. they sank. Should have known.. I've been soaking some of the beans and making extract since March, and all the beans are in the bottom of the bottles. Duh. I can always add some extract later if need be. Vanilla tends to not hang around anyway. I put some in a chocolate porter and thought I ruined it by adding too much. REALLY heavy vanilla taste. After 4-5 months aging, I can hardly taste any vanilla at all.

And though I tried not to aerate it by tilting the secondary, obviously there was some aeration taking place. I found a bargain just a bit ago on ripe bananas at the store at @ 10 lbs for 99 cents, so I'm planning on starting another batch tomorrow. Now that I know there'll not be any solids really left in the primary to clog the tube, I'll just use my siphon hose into a secondary next time, then maybe put the raisins in the secondary, let that work a while, then to a second secondary (Thirdary? lol).

Thanks for your input, Yooper.

I wasn't sure if the ripe bananas would make it another day, so I started another batch last night. I mostly followed the same steps and ingredients, except this time I used 10 lbs of bananas and 10 lbs of sugar. I also decided to skip the additional tannin and just rely on what gets added from simmering the peels. (I also skipped the muslin bag. I chopped the peels into @ 1" squares, added to the pot, and just dipped them out with a big slotted spoon after the simmer.)

If you look at the 2nd link I originally posted, they are using 24 lbs of sugar total and 21 lbs bananas to a 5 gal batch. I used roughly half of that for my 2 1/2 gal batch, but a bit less since I'm using a less aggressive yeast. I'm going to re-constitute the raisins to be able to chop them better and add them to the secondary this time. I also placed this batch in a place that stays about 66 degrees, so maybe the fermentation won't be quite as violent.

Banana wine experiment 2.0 ;)

Just an update...

A little less than 2 months, and I have one of the best tasting wines I've ever made. Everything I've read says to age this stuff at least 6 months and better to go a year, but everyone who's tried this, I get the same reaction: Screwed up face saying, "I've never even heard of banana wine!?" Then, "WOW! This stuff could be really addictive!" I think maybe it's the yeast I used instead of a champaign yeast.

The batch I made with 10 lbs of sugar actually ended up the best, in my opinion. It ended up like I wanted.. maxing out the yeasts capabilities and leaving some sweetness, though not sickeningly sweet like a Moscato. The one I used 8 lbs sugar in is a bit dryer, but still very tasty. This stuff is supposed to get even better with age, but I'm afraid it's not going to make it to it's first birthday.. lol. I'll definately be making more of this stuff. Even my screw-ups didn't ruin it! :D

That's where I'm sitting at with my mead, and it has just gotten to where in the last month or so that it has a really nice honey taste. Did you use a champaigne yeast with yours?

As an update.. This is my recipe/method that worked out best so far.

I've tried a couple different ways now and I think using this yeast listed, though it'll top out at @ 15% alc, made the best. A lot of people talked of needing to let it age for at least a year before it's drinkable, but I haven't seemed to have that problem. lol. Most are using a champaigne yeast that will take it up to 20% alcohol, but taste like rocket fuel for a long time (Like what's going on with my mead)

10 lbs. ripe bananas
1 lb. Golden Raisins
10 lbs. sugar (Just regular cane sugar) 10 lbs makes a sweet wine, (Not sickeningly sweet like a Moscato) and 8 pounds sugar is a bit dryer. Depends on how you like it.
1/4 cup each lemon and orange juce
2 cans white grape juice concentrate, thawed
2 1/2 tsp. Acid Blend
2 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
2 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
3 gals filtered water
1 pkg. wine yeast (I chose 71B-1122)

Peel the bananas and add them (The bananas) to the ferment bucket. (Primary) Chop the skins into small pieces. (Remove the Dole stickers..lol) In a pot, boil 1 1/2 gals water, add the skins, bring back to simmer, not boil, then simmer the skins for 30 minutes. This adds flavor, color, and tannins.

While that's simmering, mash up the bananas in the primary, then chop up the raisins. Chopping the raisins is such a PITA, I've decided next time to soak them in warm water for a while to re-constitute a bit first before chopping. Add everything except the yeast, pectin enzyme, raisins, and sugar to the primary, then mix well. With your yeast at room temperature, make a yeast starter of 8 oz warm water, 2 Tbsp. of the sugar and a blob of the banana mixture. Mix and aerate well, then add the yeast and mix well again. The yeast starter isn't a necessity, but it's just something I almost always do with my wine making or brewing.

After the skins have simmered 30 minutes, remove pot from heat, and remove the banana skins with a slotted spoon. There'll still be some floaty stuff, but don't worry about it. It all settles out in the ferment. Your water will be a brownish color. Discard skins, then add sugar to hot water and stir until desolved, then add your raisins. Add this syrup directly into your primary over your banana mush and mix/aerate well. Add the remaining 1 1/2 gallons of cold water, mix well, and by this point, the temperature is generally low enough to add the yeast, but you can let it sit with a lid on it until room temperature first. You want it down to at least 85-90 degrees F, but closer to 70 would be better. When you add the yeast, also add the pectin enzyme. This batch made @ 4 to 4 1/2 gallons of wort.

After a couple weeks, I syphoned the liquid over into a secondary container, leaving all the particulates and chunks of banana behind, then put it out in the garage (Cold) which makes it clear up. It was out there @ a month and a half, and I actually siphoned it into a 3rd container to leave the particulates behind that had dropped to the bottom, then put that back out in the garage for a couple days, then bottled it off of that.

You don't have to follow this exact, but there just aren't very many banana wine recipes online. Play with it and make it yours.. let me know how it turns out!

Wow. Thanks for the detailed recipe and process. Looks like I've got an experiment heading my way. Also, that yeast is my favorite for meads.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back