Ball lock poppets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisbrewbeers

Reaction score
So I had a keg I primed with sugar for 5 days and needed it so I tapped it, was slightly carbed. Two weeks at 12 psi 39 degrees no increase in carb level. Took it apart and I noticed the poppets are different. The one I had on gas side has a flare piece below the top rubber part. I put it on the out side now. I sprayed star San more than once on everything for leaks too. I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about because I didn't take picture of poppet.

Is that an o-ring? You might be blocking the air from entering. Or the issue could be with your ball lock connection failing to compress the poppet and open the fitting. When you hook it up, do you hear your bottle/regulator sort of groan, releasing. CO2?

Also, completely unsolicited but: replacement posts+poppets+orings are $10/pair at Homebrewing.org and other vendors. Cheap insurance against losing beer or draining a CO2 tank.

I think someone tried to put an o-ring on it or it somehow got lodged on there. Take that o-ring out that's trapped in the spring.

I got a universal poppet for that post a few days ago. Co2 definitely went in with the suspect post. I had used that keg at least a few times with no problems but never noticed the poppet looked like that.

Back