Ball lock lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisbrewbeers

Reaction score
So the ball lock keg lid can only fit correctly if installed one of the two ways possible to put it in there? I had a keg on gas for 5 days and nothing or not much. It looked like a little more gasket showed on one side but the thing looks like it would work either way. If it is I guess I got lucky 4 times.

I think it fits fine, just on most kegs you can only do it one way because of needing room for the handle?

I also was dryhopping in keg for first time using dental floss. It will close both ways but gas side to right of handle looks so much better. There was uneven gasket showing other way and I should have known it but didn't realize it might matter

The lid on a ball lock keg is as symmetric as the hole - and the rest of the keg, for that matter.
It'll go either way with no interference, and should seal regardless.

For whatever reason, I always pull the latch down towards me with the gas port to the left...

Cheers!

I had a keg on gas for 5 days and nothing or not much.

That sounds normal. You shouldn't expect a fully carbed keg in 5 days, unless you're using a burst-carbing method. If you just set your regulator to the serving pressure and are "slow" force carbing, it will take at least 10 days.

I had it at 18 psi for 24 hours then 10 for 5 and it was flat. This is what gave me good carbonation on my first kegged one. I took the dry hop bag out turned the lid around so it looks like it fits right and took off and put back the out connection because I heard a click that made me think I over tightened it, fined with gelatin and left it at 25 psi for about 24 hours. It's at 10 psi now but I'm still worried about it.

Also when I released the pressure from 25 psi to 12 some beer bubbled up out of the lid which I can't remember happening before. That's troublesome too. The gasket looked fine.

Also when I released the pressure from 25 psi to 12 some beer bubbled up out of the lid which I can't remember happening before. That's troublesome too. The gasket looked fine.

If beer comes out the lid, you've got a leak!

Once a keg is sealed and pressurized that should stay that way until you release it, even when there's no gas connected to it.

You should test kegs for proper sealing before filling with beer. Once beer is in there, it becomes much harder and you have to be more careful for infections. Have you checked all your o-rings for damage? Are they new? Do you use keg lube on them, you should?

Both posts and lid should seal the keg on the o-rings. The skinny o-rings around the 2 posts is to make a seal with the QDs. Again, there should be no leak there.

Any leaks will drain you gas tank and/or drain your keg from beer.

What temp is the beer at that will greatly affect the carbonation level. If it's warm that's probably why do little carbonation.

As for beer coming out the kid when you released pressure do you mean it leaked out around the lid edge gasket or pushed back up through the pressure release valve. If the latter I'd say it was probably due to the keg being full. If from around the edge of the lid if agree with others you have a leak somewhere.

It was out of gasket part of lid and I did use keg lube. Is there any reason not to put keg lube on the poppets by chance? I just turned it off for now, going to brew today and keg my other one so will investigate further later. That beer has 8 oz hops in hopstand and dryhop, is amazing, and I don't want to lose it.

I replaced the big lid gasket today and have it at 12 psi. The gasket looked fine to me though. Time will tell I guess.

Back