Balcones whiskey barrel - Ok to season with Crown Royal Maple?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
I won a 5 gallon Balcones barrel in a competition. The barrel was bone dry. I have since filled it with water to seal it back up, not a fun task.

I'm really digging the idea of aging an English barleywine in it after soaking it in Crown Royal Maple.

1. Is it okay to soak the barrel in another liquor?

2. Can I expect any of the maple flavor to absorb into the wood? Or will it muddle the flavor?

3. Will a pint be enough so long as I rotate the barrel? Ok to save the Crown and reuse in the barrel for another batch?

4. Is there a prime storage temperature?

Thanks

I have never used an actual barrel myself, but I have a couple thoughts about this:

As a homebrewer, you have the option to do something professional breweries can't: barrel age the beer, then add a small amount of whiskey after barrel aging. IMO this sounds less romantic, but gives you control over each flavor instead of guessing and hoping it turns well. This brings me to my next thought...

Crown maple is really heavy on the maple flavor. It could be interesting in a beer, but I would imagine very easy to overdo. My advice would be to add a small amount to your finished, barrel aged beer, then decide if you want more. This way you eliminate the risk of ruining a beer you've labored this much over.

This way you also don't end up with a barrel that tastes like pancakes when you are done.

This is just my 2 cents. If you have your heart set on trying to whiskey-infuse the barrel first, I'm sure there are people who could help, but if I were in your shoes I would separate the variables and give myself the best chance of making a killer beer.

Good luck!

I blended a small amount in an oatmeal stout and it was delicious.

I totally get what you are saying about simply adding the Crown to the finished beer to achieve the desired flavor. I don't mind doing that glass to glass for experimenting.

However, the anal (insert joke here :ban:) side of me wants to keep things more on the BJCP kosher side of things. I figure I will just use a thief and take frequent samples until the desired flavor is reached. I'm guessing the existing whiskey flavor in the barrel will aid in keeping the maple a bit more balanced.

I haven't even worked out the recipe yet. I just know I am picturing a more malt forward English barleywine or maybe an old ale. I have two, maybe 3 Baltic porters on deck first. :drunk:

Latest posts

Back