Bag of wort vs. partial mash or extract brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDance

Reaction score
Hello HBT peeps!
My only experience is with the pre-made bags of wort. I.e. Micro-Brew/Brewhouse kits. Does anyone have experience with these kits? What is the flavour quality/difference between these kits and partial mash/extract brewing?
Thanks

well I'm not sure what comes in a pre-made Mico-Brew/Brewhouse kit but a partial mash you use some 2 row to mash the specialty malts so you get some added sugars and flavor from that. Extract brewing usually has specialty grains that you steep to add color and flavor but you wont get any sugars out of it. Both will need hops added doing the boil as well. Again, not sure if the Brewhouse kits come with pre-hopped extract or not.
These are usually the differences between the different ways of brewing.

PS: BIAB (brew in a bag) is the best way to get into all grain brewing if you're interested in that.

I do both extract and bagged wort (the brand sold near me is Festabrew). I've honestly never had a bad experience with the Festa, and lately I prefer it. It's quick, easy, and I still manage to customize it quite a bit.

For example, I'll just empty out some of the wort (maybe 5 litres) into a pot and boil it on my stove, then toss in whatever hops I want. I also tend to dry hop these kits considerably.

I like starting with their more "basic" worts (pilsner, pale ale) and hop it myself. It's not rocket science but for the price, ease and lack of clean up you really can't go wrong.

I do both extract and bagged wort (the brand sold near me is Festabrew). I've honestly never had a bad experience with the Festa, and lately I prefer it. It's quick, easy, and I still manage to customize it quite a bit.

For example, I'll just empty out some of the wort (maybe 5 litres) into a pot and boil it on my stove, then toss in whatever hops I want. I also tend to dry hop these kits considerably.

I like starting with their more "basic" worts (pilsner, pale ale) and hop it myself. It's not rocket science but for the price, ease and lack of clean up you really can't go wrong.

Yeah, I've seen the Festabrew as well. It just seems like there's a bitterness to the bagged wort beers that the AG doesn't have. But who knows what you need to put in the bagged wort to preserve it indefinitely.

I would try Festa if it's available near you. I've never had a problem with noticeable (or undesirable) bitterness with them. Worth a shot!

Yeah, I've seen the Festabrew as well. It just seems like there's a bitterness to the bagged wort beers that the AG doesn't have. But who knows what you need to put in the bagged wort to preserve it indefinitely.

Festabrew worts are just pasteurized and are only guaranteed for 1 year.

Back