Badly done Lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadux

Reaction score
So i guess this must happen to most people...
I would love to do some lagers but i cant lager them in a cold space.
I was wondering if someone knows/has experimented taking a lager recipe and just using some neutral ale yeast and do it as ale. I know that is not a lager, i really wonder what the difference between the two is taste-wise.

Also in a few weeks i will have the possibility of bringing my caboys outside, which will be most of the day between 5 and -3ºC. Would this result in decent lagers or the temp swings would ruin it?

I think the temperature swings may not be the best but if the beer is done fermenting I don't think it will make a big difference. Be sure to keep the carboys in the dark as the UV light will cause a reaction with the hop oils to form a compound that will make your beer smell like skunk.

The major part of making a lager is the yeast and the temperature during fermentation. If you can't control the temperature during fermentation you will not be making a good lager or any beer except perhaps a saison which likes higher temperature.

The most important thing is being able to conduct primary fermentation at the correct temps (45-52ºF, followed by a diacetyl rest north of 60ºF). If you can do that, then you have the option of lagering after the beer is packaged. If you keg, just rack to a keg after fermentation and place it wherever you serve from. If you bottle, carbonate the beer at the usual warm temps, then refrigerate the bottles.

Lagering is really the long storage period at cold temps. There's no reason you need to do it in the fermenter.

There are several people who "warm ferment" using certain lager yeast, and the Brulosophy guys have conducted a few exbeeriments. Can you get the temps around 16 - 18c?

Constant normal temps are not a problem. My house stays (amazingly) at 20ºC constantly. I have a basement where in winter its colder to 10-15ºC depending on when, without big swings. ITs just not enough for lagering. Ferment and diacetyl rest i can do (ferment in basement, then bring to the house). Then i can either take the fermenters outside, wrapped in some cloth or shirts, or bottle, put in a carboard box (no light will go through) and put it in a small balcony after its carbonated for a couple weeks (or more, but i would probably start grabbing and drinking some after that haha). I just dont know if a 7-8ºC swings over the day would affect it.

Not sure which yeast you're using, but I have had fantastic results with Fermentis' 34/70 lager yeast. It will ferment cleanly at 20c (68F). I cool the wort down to 10c (50F), then pitch and let it ferment as the temperature goes up. I had one batch get as hot as 22c with no problems or off flavors.

just a thought you could build an insulated box, once it got cold, it should minimize temp swings. it's hot here all the time (like my electric heat has been disconnected since 2012 I do need to fix it lol), although i did use the white labs san fran lager yeast in a water bath with ok results. Most of my brew equipment involves temp control, although i'd love to get a better mash tun boil system fermentation affects me more so ...

yeah those are good ideas. Im using mangrove Jack's yeast. Im kinda a loyal customer and they got all i need. They got a californian lager strain to warm ferment. But as i said i can still get to 12ºC or so for lagger ferment. Also i checked the fast lager method from burlosophy and i might give that a try. Seems so easy...

Latest posts

Back