Bad Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whirlybirds

Reaction score
I brewed a Honey Wheat extract kit from Austin Home Brew on Friday night. When I received the kit in the mail, I found the cold pack not cold at all and the yeast arrived at room temp. I've never had a problem with yeast before so I took the yeast out of the fridge 5 hours before I brewed and pitched at 70 degrees. I woke up this morning to find there still isn't any activity in the air lock. I assuming my yeast is dead. I'm willing to give it a few more days before I re-pitch the yeast. My main question is that do I have to do anything to my wort? Is this going to affect my beer since I pitched dead yeast?

If you did pitch dead yeast then I believe it does nothing but become neuts for the next pitch you'll do. I don't believe you have to do anything extra to the wort before repitching.

My main question is that do I have to do anything to my wort? Is this going to affect my beer since I pitched dead yeast?
I would wait 48-72 hours from time of pitching [so tonight or Monday], and then take a hydrometer reading. Airlock activity does not mean anything.
If the OG has not changed, then I would re-pitch dry yeast. You do not need to do anything to the wort.

next time: when using liquid yeast, especially yeast that has come in hot from an online vendor, you absolutely should make a starter to test viability and build up cell count. or stick to dry yeast.
good luck!
Wendy

Dilly's right. But I'll bet you a sawbuck that the yeast is fine and you'll have a nice krausen on top of your beer in another day.

You would be correct, sir! I started to notice a little krausen Wednesday night. Any idea why I have no activity in the air lock? I've got a good seal on the fermenter and haven't be opening it, other than Wednesday night.

Back