Bad yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txtaquito

Reaction score
I have a tube of White labs British ale yeast that had gone a few weeks past " best if used before" date. I made a starter with it. When I opened the tube, it fizzed like crazy indicating they fermented inside the tube. I used them anyway. 24 hours later in the starter they are showing only the slightest signs of fermentation. Should I give em more time and see if I can bring 'em back or is there too much dead cell count and contribute a bad flavor to the brew?

Thanks,
TxT

A-ha! I saw in another thread pertaining to washing yeast that sometimes can take up to 48 hours or more for older yeasts to take off. They are showing signs of life but was more concerned about dead cells. Maybe they were all just in a deeeeeeeeepp sleep. :)

TxT

All of this sounds normal to me, if they are fermenting the starter, they are good. This is one of the reasons we use starters, to proof the yeast. I typically don't see much activity in most starters, if it doesn't build enough yeast simply step it up again.

Every white lab vial I have used fizzes after you shake it up, my guess is its just trapped CO2 not fermentation. I have also used some white labs that was 2months past the use by date, made a starter and it fermented fine. Pitch that stuff and get fermentin'.:rockin:

Back