Bad regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freisste

Reaction score
Question for you pros:

How common is it for the pressure to "walk" up and overcarb a keg? Seems to happen to me a lot. I don't know if I just have a crappy regulator or if this is common.

For instance, I put two fresh kegs in the fridge last night. Cranked the pressure up to 30, partially to speed up the carbing process and partly because it's easier to get a good seal on the kegs. This morning I turned the pressure down, but I'm not sure what it dropped to (didn't release pressure because it doesn't seem to read accurately when I do). When I checked it tonight, the pressure was at 12psi - perfect. Pulled a small glass off of each, just to see how it tastes cold and (partially) carbed. At that point, I checked the pressure again and it was down to 10psi. When I tried turning it up, it didn't respond. Kept turning it up and finally I heard it start to push CO2. I set it to 12 and it appeared stable. Checked it an hour later and it was at 20psi!

WTF? Is it just a crappy regulator, or do I need to get used to it? Will a new regulator work better?

Thanks and sorry to post a novel.

Do you happen to have your co2 tank in the fridge? If so, the elastomer used to make the diaphragm in the regulator will respond more slowly to changes in output pressure when it's cold. I need to set mine to a pressure setting slightly lower than I want, and it slowly creeps up to where I want it. It took a few times at first to see how much creep I end up with, but it's been pretty consistent since.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

So I shouldn't waste money on a new one if I can just approximately figure out my "standard" drift.

Thanks for the input.

Another thing to note is that if you set the pressure to 30 PSI and left it there, depending on how long, you now have 30 PSI in your beer which will slowly come out of solution if your reg is now at 12 and increase the pressure in your keg.

Classic symptom of over carbonation. I know you said it was under carbed, but I would just bleed the pressure off until it stabilizes and see what happens

The diaphragm is damaged. The same thing happened to me twice with Fermentap regulators (Fermentap products are China made garbage). I would set a pressure and it would just keep creeping up. I would even set it to 0 and it would creep up to almost 30 psi before I decided to shut it off. My LHBS explained that it was the diaphragm and replaced the first defective one with the same regulator. That one had the same problem so they ended up giving me the higher end Taprite regulator (made in USA). Haven't had a problem since.

Carluchi: it was only at 30 psi for about 36 hours, and it was warm (high 60's) when I set the pressure. It's possible, but I don't think so.

IL1kebeer: this is what I was afraid of. My kegerator came with the 2.5lb CO2 tank and regulator. I'm thinking it isn't the highest quality. I've had this issue since my first keg. My plan now is to make the best of it for the time being. I will make sure to replace it with a taprite when the time comes.

Thanks to both of you.

Check with the place that you bought the kegerator from. They might replace it.

I've also seen repair kits and spare parts for regulators. Maybe you could fix it.

Check with the place that you bought the kegerator from. They might replace it.

I've also seen repair kits and spare parts for regulators. Maybe you could fix it.

I'm skeptical of option 1 - this was a groupon purchase. Nostalgia Electrics is the brand, I think. Maybe I'll look into fixing it myself. I'll have to do some research and see if I can figure out the brand of the regulator.

Back