Bad Pack Of Dry Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MegaMania

Reaction score
Ok, that was way too much. Rewording. Has anyone ever opened a packet of dry yeast that gave off a very strong odor? Almost, bad? I threw it in the fermenter simultaneously as I opened the pack, which I would not have done with a chance to think. It has been fermenting for a week, but that odor from the yeast is definitely there... hoping it will mellow out with time.

Do you have any idea what temperature the wort was when you were pitching and what it fermented at?

The wort was too warm, roughly mid 80's, fermentation... too high as well.. 76...more like 78... I live in Texas and try to keep the AC in low 70's, my apartment isn't exactly the most ideal for most styles.

The wort was too warm, roughly mid 80's, fermentation... too high as well.. 76...more like 78... I live in Texas and try to keep the AC in low 70's, my apartment isn't exactly the most ideal for most styles.

Look up swamp coolers. One of the most important, and easiest ways, to improve your beers is proper temperature control.

I simply use a large rope bucket with water in it. My basement is currently at 77, and just by putting my carboy in the bucket, filled about half-way up the carboy, primary fermentation of my Saison sat at 72. Nothing else but water in there, even though air temperature was 77. When I'm making any other ale, I rotate frozen, 2L water bottles and it keeps the temp in check without any problems at all. Generally I switch them out every 8-12 hours, depending on what the temp is, and I keep my beers at 65 when room temp is well into the 80s.

Thanks for the tip on the temp control. I do understand it is extremely important when making a brew correctly. I will not make another batch until that is handled. In regards to the off smelling yeast... Does anyone have any input on that? Has anyone ever opened a packet of dry yeast and got a rush of strange odor up their nose? Or is that just so unheard of no one can really say? I've only opened about 6 brewing yeasts in my life, 5 dry one liquid and this was the first time it actually smelled.

In case anyone cares, The beer carb'ed quickly and sufficiently. Whatever smell the yeast had when I first opened, has stuck around. Perhaps not as strong of aroma due to the other ingredients melding. But, its sour, and not in a good way. This flavor is not a flavor most have ever encountered, I've had a lot of beers and this was odd. Drank a whole one, had the $H!T's for a couple days. HAHA, lesson learned, if the yeast smells bad, it is bad. But, this is proof that you can drink a rotten beer and live to tell the tale. I know I rushed this batch and its ok because I wanted to see what the heck was up with that yeast.

In case anyone cares, The beer carb'ed quickly and sufficiently. Whatever smell the yeast had when I first opened, has stuck around. Perhaps not as strong of aroma due to the other ingredients melding. But, its sour, and not in a good way. This flavor is not a flavor most have ever encountered, I've had a lot of beers and this was odd. Drank a whole one, had the $H!T's for a couple days. HAHA, lesson learned, if the yeast smells bad, it is bad. But, this is proof that you can drink a rotten beer and live to tell the tale. I know I rushed this batch and its ok because I wanted to see what the heck was up with that yeast.

I'd be surprised if it was the yeast that did it, its likely the really high fermentation temps that produced a ton of fusel alcohols and other bad stuff that can really wreck your gut.

"Bad" yeast would usually just do nothing and not ferment. Its probable that with such a high temperature you also had some bacteria take over giving you the sour, they love warm temps.

The sour your probably tasting is the vinegar made by the bacteria...

Well, like i tried to iterate before but people continuously deny, when i opened the yeast it was foul. Once someone can just explain that i can go into the temps. I made a brew 2 weeks before these one and 2 weeks after. So far, this smell has not been present at anytime other than when i opened that particular pack of yeast. I threw in the pack of yeast that came with the extract as well so maybe that handled the fermentation. Pretty much from what I gather, either that coopers yeast has an extremel nose hair scorching scent that i couldnt even fathom someone enjoying, or I just opened a one in a million pack of smelly yeast that people cant fathom either. Im aware of the flavors from high ferm temps, this.... is nothing like that. I guess someone should probably tell me once more though. In all honestly the fermentation period can be disregarded, because the yeast smelled off from the bat. I guess its not common at all.

Latest posts

Back