Bad lot of Safale US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give it a little time. Noticable activity can take up to 72 hours.

That being said, I did an Imperial Stout last week. OG was 1.085, pitched two packets of refrigerated US-05 which I think had the 5-13 expiration (I don't normally pay much attention), and it was surprisingly slow to start up. It did eventually build up a nice kreusen, and I haven't taken a reading, but I've never seen US-05 this slow, and I us it all the time. Looks like I'm going to have to monitor this batch closely. (For the record, it smells fine, exactly like I expect, so I'm not too worried.)

I checked my imperial stout, and it was down to 1.018 and kreusen had fallen, so I think we're right on schedule.

I noticed the same thing last two packs of US-05 I used. The beers fermented down but were slow fermenters and were kind of stubborn to clear. Sorry didn't keep them around so don't know lot number.

Just checked the last packet I pitched Saturday night. It was dated 6/13, sprinkled it dry, and there was a nice thick kraussen Sunday Morning.

I pitched two packets with an expiration date of 5/2013 and it did take a little longer to come alive... I think the culprit may have been the 1.101 og imperial stout though... it's chuggin now:mug:

I pitched two packets with an expiration date of 5/2013 and it did take a little longer to come alive... I think the culprit may have been the 1.101 og imperial stout though... it's chuggin now:mug:

Yeah, with all that food available the yeast was probably trying to figure out what to eat first.

Came home from a 5 day business trip and it finished at 1.010 down from 1.071 -- Exactly where I wanted and expected it to finish. So I can definitely confirm, attenuation is right where it should be. Just a slow ferment, and the yeast is slow to drop

scottland said:
Came home from a 5 day business trip and it finished at 1.010 down from 1.071 -- Exactly where I wanted and expected it to finish. So I can definitely confirm, attenuation is right where it should be. Just a slow ferment, and the yeast is slow to drop

+1
I love us 05 and have noticed my last 3 batches Krausen is still high 7-10 days into fermentation.

I have an amber ale at full Krausen and it's on day 7, Krausen started on day 2.

Ozzfest05 said:
+1
I love us 05 and have noticed my last 3 batches Krausen is still high 7-10 days into fermentation.

I have an amber ale at full Krausen and it's on day 7, Krausen started on day 2.

I have the exact same scenario. Amber... US05... 7days.... Krausen, etc...

Talked to my brother today who whipped up a RIS 2 weeks ago, 2 packs of S-05 fermented down to 1.010 with a nice fluffy krausen.

I also brewed a Double IPA a month ago with 2 packs of S-05 that turned out great, I can't remember the last time I got a lag time over 6-7 hours with S-05.

Popped open a bottle today just to double check and although the beer looks beautiful, the phenolic taste is still very strong. It may be a lost batch. Will wait couple of weeks and try it again. I'm almost positive that this is a yeast issue. I have two packs left of S05, same lot and exp date and will trash it, just in case.

Another case of 2 long ferments 7+ days before drop out. First finished a little high but I dont think it was the yeast. Went to dry hop the second last night at 8 days and was surprised at the size of krausen when I opened the bucket. 2 day lags on signs of fermentation on both which is somewhat long from what I am used to. I use this yeast almost exclusively so I did think something was off but didn't think much of it until this thread. I dont mind long ferments (preferable to a 2-3 day blowout) but the last couple have seemed a little long...Will still use this yeast BTW..

Got a little concerned when I saw this thread. It's not only my first experience with Safale-05.. but my first with an extract using steeped grains. I was patting my self on the back about what seemed a good working process. I also have Batch Number 71322 125 1824 with an exp date of 05 2013.

Here's hoping.. I pitched the yeast as a dry sprinkle.. I got "overwhelmed" with my first batch using a full boil and the grains. I think I got everything right except hydrating the yeast.

If the yeast is good.. I should have something going tomorrow or the next day.

I had an interesting thing happen here. The OG was supposed to be 51-54.. mine was 56.. no biggie here.. but, I also had a larger volume than I expected.. It was supposed to be 5 gal.. but ended up being 5.3 gals..

Hope this is a good thing.

I'm excited.. unless the yeast doesn't kick in.... :rolleyes:

here's my cream ale - 2 weeks old down to 1.008 from 1.052

not crystal clear but def not very hazy - going into fridge to cold crash now

(hydro reads .004 high)

us-05 cream.jpg

Brewed another batch using S05 yesterday. 24h passed and no signs of life, like the previous troubled batch. Will wait and see what happens. I know some folks report up to 72h before start so I'll wait. I don't care much about the timing as long as the beer tastes good.
I had two packages with 5/13 date in stock but visited another LHBS looking for a different lot. Out of luck, bough a package with lot# 71322 124 1855 exp 5/13. Noticed the store keeps the yeast in a fridge, contrary to the store where I got the S05 previously, that let it sit on a shelf so decided to give it a try.
Rehydrated and pitched at 63F. Keeping at 63F.
Update on the previous batch, still showing a nasty phenolic flavor. Pretty much undrinkable.

I find with us 05 I see Krausen after 48 hrs never before. I just racked my batch to secondary it tool 16 days for Krausen to fall. Popped a cream ale open been 1 week in bottle (us-05) and it's almost fully carbed it's clear and tastes really good.

I love us-05

I find with us 05 I see Krausen after 48 hrs never before. I just racked my batch to secondary it tool 16 days for Krausen to fall. Popped a cream ale open been 1 week in bottle (us-05) and it's almost fully carbed it's clear and tastes really good.

I love us-05

Do you rehydrate your S05. If so, can you describe your rehydration process/temps?

I brew mostly ipa and pale ales rehydrating has never help my fermentation to start early but I only use us-05. Actually today is my first time using us-33 I debate 05 but for the higher abv they recommended 33.

I just aerate so my wort has 5 inches of foam on top the sprinkle the dry yeast onto the foam slowly. The foam will start to quickly sink into the wort.

It's worked well for me.

Cheers

nilo said:
Brewed another batch using S05 yesterday. 24h passed and no signs of life, like the previous troubled batch. Will wait and see what happens. I know some folks report up to 72h before start so I'll wait. I don't care much about the timing as long as the beer tastes good.
I had two packages with 5/13 date in stock but visited another LHBS looking for a different lot. Out of luck, bough a package with lot# 71322 124 1855 exp 5/13. Noticed the store keeps the yeast in a fridge, contrary to the store where I got the S05 previously, that let it sit on a shelf so decided to give it a try.
Rehydrated and pitched at 63F. Keeping at 63F.
Update on the previous batch, still showing a nasty phenolic flavor. Pretty much undrinkable.

I brewd a cream ale over the summer with US05 that was highly phenolic. Brewed the exact same batch with wlp001 and it was excellent.

my cream ale finished up beautifully - crystal clear after 2 days cold crashing and 3days in the keg/on gas

grain to empty keg in 19days

started fermented at 64° and slowly ramped it up to 69° over the course of a few days

Brewed an IPA on 11/05/11 with US-05 (06/30/13 exp. date). OG=1.065. Pitched at 68F. No fermentation after 48 hours. Pitched another pack (same exp. date). Again, nothing for 48 more hours. Took SG reading and was still 1.065. Took another SG reading on 11/19/11 and was still 1.065. Yeast was stored for approx. 6 weeks in the refrigerator and allowed to come to pitching temp before pitching.

Brewed an amber ale on 11/19/11 with the same US-05 (06/30 exp. date). Waited 36 hours and there was still no fermentation. Pitched another US-05 with a 09/30/13 exp. date yesterday morning (11/21/11) and had a vigorous fermentation within 12 hours.

I'm not saying the original US-05 with the 06/30 was "bad" per se, but something was going on in my opinion. Two batches behaved exactly the same way then a different date code yeast was used and fermentation took off as usual.

I've got 2 packets of the 06/30 left, and I think I'll make a starter with one for my next beer. If the starter does not take off, then I think I got some bad yeast. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Ozzfest05 said:

I love us-05

I'm glad to hear this. I brewed a cream ale last night and am using US-05 for the first time. Airlock is going crazy but zero krausen. I thought this was odd so I figured I'd do a quick browse.

My yeast batch is 72611 exp 09/2013 and fermenting began quickly but I did use a starter. Hopefully everyone who used the lot which expires 05/2013 will get a good homebrew.

Off-Topic:

aryoung1980, your name looks oddly familiar. Can't put my finger on it...

Now you guys have me worried. I have an older package of 05 in the fridge...I think I'll leave it out to get to room temp...

I never made a starter with my last batch of Safale. It turned out fine. Maybe you guys just need to give the carboy a little love swirl or shake...Oxygenate the heck out of it.

Some use a stone...I just do it the old fashioned way with a vigorous shake. I also splash the heck out of my wort when it enters the carboy for the first time.

So far so good. My Safale S-23 turned out great. It was really clean and not at all fruity. I went with a 50-55 degree fermentation cycle. I also used tons of special B malt...It was supposed to be a dark lager but the extra dextrin made it sweet like a scotish ale...No complaints.

Good luck. Mine expires in January...I better hurry 2012 is going to be the end.

The Imperial Stout I commented on about a month ago tastes great. I'm not sure what was going on, but it seems some packets were bad but others weren't. I bought more US-05 at my LHBS and they were from the batch in question, and the guy in charge of yeasts thinks I also bought from that batch (we can't be certain, of course, but he based this on his dates of receipt of the yeasts). I hope that whatever was going on is resolved by now.

Maybe his refrigerater is freezing them? Im not shure if its bad for dry yeast or not but something to consider. Some people dont have accurate temp control, and like my fridge it very easily can freeze but i have put a simple thermometer in to keep an eye on it from freezing. I would consider discussing it with him/her.

So the double IPA in mention at the start of this thread just scored a 43 in a BJCP comp. so it's obvious this yeast is still making great beer.

I've been using S-05 regularly and recently and have had no problem whatsoever.

I do wish it dropped out faster during crashing, but that's another story...

Just for the record, I brewed a 1063 IPA on Sunday and pitched at 69F with US05.72202 179 1713 06/2013. So def not the same batch as the OP. Rehydrated at 100F and let cool.

I haven't used this yeast before, or if I did it was a very long time ago. From what I'd heard I thought it would take right off. I was surprised the next morning to see...nothing. Somewhere between 16-24 hours it developed a little 1/4" or so krausen, and now at about 48 hours it's got a nice 2-3" head and is bubbling away.

Just for the record, I brewed a 1063 IPA on Sunday and pitched at 69F with US05.72202 179 1713 06/2013. So def not the same batch as the OP. Rehydrated at 100F and let cool.

I haven't used this yeast before, or if I did it was a very long time ago. From what I'd heard I thought it would take right off. I was surprised the next morning to see...nothing. Somewhere between 16-24 hours it developed a little 1/4" or so krausen, and now at about 48 hours it's got a nice 2-3" head and is bubbling away.

I chucked my recent pack and I don't know the lot number, however ,I have worked wit S-05 quite a bit and I had a similar slow start. The other day I sent the re-hydrated troops for a swim at about 72F.

And I waited.

And waited.

It took about 36 hours to develop a thin wisp of krausen. Before that, I watched in agony as it took nearly a whole day to push the fluid line inside a bottle from my blowoff tube down. Things are plugging away nicely now with good krausen.

Normally S-05 takes off like a rocket, but this one was a tad slow. I'm not sure if it has to do with pitching at 72 and letting it settle to about 62, but it didn't seem like it's normal self.

Pitched US-05 (exp. 06/2013) on my Milk Stout. Took off around 12-14 hours. Perhaps this is a slightly longer than normal lag phase but the fermentation has been strong and continuous for 3 days (65F). Seems like the yeast are gradually flocculating today (day 4).

I think 4-5 days is a pretty good timeline for a fermentation from what i've read.

Guys, there's got to be something wrong with this yeast:mad:
I just tried another batch with S05 and it also tasted phenolic. Here are few comments:

1)3 out of 4 batches I did with S05 had a phenolic bite.
2)Fermentation temps are not the reason, I have fermented 3 at 67F and the last one at 63F. Same with pitching temps.
3)The fact that people get the fermentation started after 12h and sometimes after 36 to 48h is for me an indication that something is wrong. I think that the longer it takes for the yeast to get going, the highest the chance for infections.
4)My phenolic off flavor is not due to lack of sanitation. I have double cleaned everything and it still came out.
5)My last batch used lot# 71322-124-1855 May/2013, same exp date of my previous batch. I don't have records for my earlier 2 batches
6)Last two batches showed no signs of fermentation before 36h. I mean both krausen and gravity were flat.

My last attempt to isolate the issue, other than the yeast, is to mill my barley with a wider gap. I was using 0.031 and increased to factory standard of 0.039. Did you guys have any issues with a too narrow gap producing phenols?

There is nothing wrong with us 05 . There is a lag time but that happens with lots of yeast. 3 last batches I aerated real well, about 4" of foam and fermentation happened within 8 hours. The only issue I had with it was Krausen lasted like 12 days but with my last red it was perfectly normal.

Never issue with off flavors, something else might be wrong. Maybe your local hb got bad batch.

I pitched two days ago into 2 , 5 gallon buckets of 1.065 A.P.A , by day one there was an active fermentation going on , 48 hrs later & the other still isn't bubbling , same batch , bought the two packs of o5 the same day from lhbs . I have used o5 in the past & it always took off within 12 hrs.

There is nothing wrong with us 05 . There is a lag time but that happens with lots of yeast. 3 last batches I aerated real well, about 4" of foam and fermentation happened within 8 hours. The only issue I had with it was Krausen lasted like 12 days but with my last red it was perfectly normal.

Never issue with off flavors, something else might be wrong. Maybe your local hb got bad batch.

I'm not saying that every S05 is bad. But it seems that some lots of S05 are not up to standards. One thing that really differentiate us from the large scale brewers is consistency batch after batch. How can we do that when we have no control over the quality of our ingredients?

Its all the new Nottingham costing more conspiracy,i swear.See its oh now you gotta buy the more pricy nottingham.Somethings brewing..
I got the 9 13,so i plan on harvesting some of the wlp005 liquid till i cant then maybe use that but,you guys are getting me paranoid.

Oddly enough, my attenuation is fine, but the yeast is slow to floc. These are all signs of poor yeast health. Anyone else having any issues with US05 lately? My packs expire 05/13.

This is the OP question, Don't be paranoid. Note "US05 dated 5/13" Somehow it ended up with a review of any batch.

I am not one to jump to conclusions, there are a lot of potential causes of poor/slow fermentations and off-flavors however...
My latest stout at 1.064 OG with S-05 was a bit off the mark...slow to start and the taste is just not quite right, maybe a bit phenolic, like nilo has said. Hmmm.

So, in the name of science and beer, I am going to try a 15 gal split batch of 1.050 APA with S-04, S-05 and Nottingham to hopefully give some meaningful feedback.

Back