Bad Keg???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianNorth

Reaction score
Ok,

I have two 5-gal kegs. These are used 'pepsi' kegs from Keg Connection online.

I did off a couple of batches of beer recently, a Czechvar clone, and a 'cream of three crops' batch.
Frankly the Czechvar came out AMAZING! My first lager, and I am hooked.
The Cof3C's I have made before, with good results. But the batch came out with a strong bitter metalic aftertaste. Hard to describe.
So I screwed up? maybe.... but here is the catch- the beer tasted great out of the carboy, dead on. I actually filter my beer, using forced co2 to prevent oxidization, and out of the filter the beer was clean and good.
I was floored when I tasted it carbed because I was expecting good results.

This isn't the first time this has happened. I have had a couple of batches that have gone from 'mmmm mmmm good' out of the carboy to 'WTF' in the keg.

SO........ is there such a thing as a bad keg?

thanks!

I'm not familiar with that product, although bleach based doesn't fill me with confidence.

Does the entire keg taste metallic? I've had beers that had a slight metallic flavor until a bit of the yeast cleared, took a few pints to make it happen, this was after purging the bulk of the yeast in the first pint and dumping it down the drain.

I'm not familiar with that product, although bleach based doesn't fill me with confidence.

Does the entire keg taste metallic? I've had beers that had a slight metallic flavor until a bit of the yeast cleared, took a few pints to make it happen, this was after purging the bulk of the yeast in the first pint and dumping it down the drain.

I know what you're talking about. But this is filtered beer, clear as glass.
I guess I need something better for cleaning. But funny it is only 1 of the kegs..............

What do you recommend for cleaning lines????

I usually use stericlean (bleach based I believe).

Anything bleach based needs to be rinsed really really really well before coming in contact with wort or beer. If all the chlorine residue isn't rinsed off, it will react with the phenols created by the yeast and result in chlorophenols, which have a very low taste threshold. The flavor is often described as harsh bitterness, medicinal, or a burnt plastic taste.

I break them down and clean with Dawn dish soap and green scrubby just like my pots and pans when I first get them. and Oxy free/hot water soak in between brews.

I agree with Yooper. Chlorine attacks SS and can cause rust. If you get rust in the keg, that will cause severe metallic flavors. I'd take everything apart, give a good soak with OxiClean, rinse well, and inspect everything carefully for signs of corrosion. I use a tubing brush to clean the inside of the dip tube. If you see any corrosion, then I wouldn't use the keg any more. If not, then reassemble, and hope it doesn't happen again. I'd also replace the O rings. Although they shouldn't cause metallic flavors, they may cause other off flavors (according to some people).

-a.

I'd fill keg with H20, let it sit for a day and taste. If it tasted ok I would carb the keg of H20 and see what happened, if it tasted good I'd have a keg of Seltzer to drink.

I'd fill keg with H20, let it sit for a day and taste. If it tasted ok I would carb the keg of H20 and see what happened, if it tasted good I'd have a keg of Seltzer to drink.

Thanks.

I'll try this, once I strip the whole thing down and clean it viciously.

I wouldn't use bleach on stainless steel.

Do you take apart the keg? If you take the posts off, maybe something is stuck inside the poppites.

Bleach is really bad for kegs. At least that's what I read. My instructions to the keg I received specifically said to NOT use any sort of bleach. I'd say use Oxyclean since that is the cleaner of choice around here.

Back