Backup keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbell525

Reaction score
I only have one tap, but brewed two batches on consecutive days. I kegged and tapped the first keg about 2 weeks ago. I just kegged the 2nd one today and put it in the fridge until I'm ready to tap it. I do not add priming sugar. I force carbonate. So what should I do with the 2nd keg? Do I carbonate it now? Or wait until I'm ready to tap it?

just pump a little c02 on top of it so it doesn't oxidize...or carb it up now. I would do the latter.

if you can, i suggest the latter as well. Thats what I try to do with I have more kegs in my keezer than the 2 taps I have. If you know you will have time, you could also consider naturally carbing it, you would have to dump out the first beer or two, but its not bad.

Im new to kegging, so take my advice with a grain of salt, and if I am incorrect, someone please correct me!

Couldnt you bring the second keg to pressure (12-15 psi) so it could start to carb, then put it on the gas to top off the pressure every couple days, that way it can carb and the pressure wont fall as the C02 absorbes into the beer. That way you would have a fully carb'd and ready to drink keg when the other one is finished.

Get a second tap.

That's on the agenda. These are the first two batches I made in a couple of years. We've moved houses since my last run at it and the new house had the bar set up already with the single tap. Since the fridge fits 2 kegs, I might as well have two taps...eh?

Im new to kegging, so take my advice with a grain of salt, and if I am incorrect, someone please correct me!

Couldnt you bring the second keg to pressure (12-15 psi) so it could start to carb, then put it on the gas to top off the pressure every couple days, that way it can carb and the pressure wont fall as the C02 absorbes into the beer. That way you would have a fully carb'd and ready to drink keg when the other one is finished.

I believe you could do that, but It would be just as easy to get an air splitter and keep it on air. Doing what you suggest would take 2-3 times as long

I believe you could do that, but It would be just as easy to get an air splitter and keep it on air. Doing what you suggest would take 2-3 times as long

That would be the logical thing to do :D Some people have to, or prefer to work with what they have on hand though. Personally, I agree, get a manifold or even a simple T and it on gas. Im just impressed that I was able to provide legitimate advice!

Latest posts

Back