backsweetening mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanktenor

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I started out with 10lbs honey, 3 gallons water and 32 ounces of cherry puree. I made the puree myself using 36 ounces of thawed frozen cherries and about 3/4 of a cup of table sugar. I am 8 days in and am at 10% abv and still going. Problem is that there is NO sweetness in the taste. Just the tartness of cherry and the faint taste of the still active yeast. Any advice on back-sweetening? I also plan to use a clarifier before bottling, if that matters. Thanks!!!

I"m not an expert at mead making, but generally, what you want to do is let the fermentation proceed until it is done, then rack the mead off the trub and then knock the yeast out with chemicals so fermentation doesn't restart when you backsweeten, then backsweeten to taste.

Here at homebrewtalk we have a mead subforum at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/ Take a look around there and you'll find some info.

Good luck with your mead - I've been thinking that I need to make another one!

Back